July 30th, 2015 by Doree
Update Friday: Investigators estimate the damage to the home at $70,000. The official cause “accidental, mechanical damage of electrical wiring system during the installation of insulation.”
Update 4:15 p.m.: SFD Public Information Officer Kyle Moore just called me with more details. He said the call came in about 1 p.m. A man was home with his dog while some work was being done in his attic. The workers said to call 911 and everyone evacuated. The fire burned in the attic space, causing a lot of smoke and more flames when firefighters opened up the roof. The fire was extinguished by 1:51 p.m. The Red Cross was called in to provide housing for the man, a woman and a child. The house is not a total loss; fire investigators have not yet provided a damage estimate. Moore said the cause was accidental/electrical.
Earlier: Seattle firefighters have extinguished a fire in a house in the 100 block of NW 83rd St. According to a Seattle Fire Department tweet, the home’s occupant and a dog made it safely outside.
Photo by Seattle Fire Department.
Another tweet with a picture showed firefighters being cooled down by huge misting fans because of the heat.
Photo by Seattle Fire Department.
We have a message in to the Fire Department Public Information Officer and will update this post when we have more information.
Thanks to Jeremy for alerting us!
Tags: fire, Seattle Fire Department, SFD
June 29th, 2015 by Doree
The Seattle Fire Department is reminding people that consumer fireworks are illegal in the City of Seattle.
From SFD’s Fireline:
Do not use consumer fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in the City of Seattle without a permit from the Seattle Fire Department. Fireworks cause thousands of burns and eye injuries each year. Celebrate Independence Day by attending a public fireworks display.
Did you know?
- In 2013, an estimated 11,400 people went to the emergency room for fireworks-related injuries.
- Two out of five people injured by fireworks were under the age of 15.
- Sparklers burn at more than 1200 degrees.
- Sparklers alone accounted for 41% of the emergency room fireworks injuries.
- Sparklers accounted for 79% of the injuries to children under five.
Keep you and your family safe from the risk of fireworks. Watch a public display and leave the dangerous fireworks to the experts.
Tags: 4th of July, fireworks, Seattle Fire Department
January 6th, 2015 by Doree
The Seattle Fire Department says someone threw a Molotov cocktail-type device at the Greenwood Safeway on Monday night.
Here are the details from SFD’s Fire Line:
January 5—Seattle Fire Investigators recovered the evidence of a “Molotov Cocktail” type device thrown at a Greenwood grocery store.
At 7:03 p.m. a witness saw a person throw the burning bottle against the brick side of a national chain grocery store located in the 8700 block of Greenwood Avenue North. The bottle broke on the sidewalk and rolled into bushes. A witness grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire.
There was not any damage to the store.
Seattle Police Department responded and collected witness statements. The evidence and the case have been turned over to the Seattle Police Department Arson Bomb Squad for further investigation.
Tags: crime, Safeway, Seattle Fire Department, Seattle Police Department
November 13th, 2014 by Doree
The Greenwood neighborhood has received a grant from the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods to provide emergency preparedness programs and to establish two emergency communication hubs: at the Greenwood Senior Center, 525 N. 85th St., and the Salvation Army, 9501 Greenwood Ave. N.
An Emergency Shake-up Open House is set for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 6, at the North Seattle Boys & Girls Club, 8635 Fremont Ave. N. to help people learn more. The open house includes a free lunch, kid’s activities, raffle prizes, and representatives from Seattle Fire Department, City of Seattle, the Red Cross and more. Emergency kits will be available for purchase.
Tags: City of Seattle, emergency preparedness, North Seattle Boys & Girls Club, Red Cross, Seattle Fire Department
November 3rd, 2014 by Dale
For the second time in less than three months, the Starbucks at the corner of 67th and Phinney Avenue has been struck by a vehicle, this time by a black pickup truck which tore through the protective guardrail and into the front of the building shortly before 3 a.m.
The cause and whether the driver is injured is unknown, because no one was there when firefighters arrived, according to a Seattle Fire Department incident commander at the scene.
Amanda Watts, who lives about a block away, heard the crash and said it’s one of many. “We’re used to hearing car wrecks around here.”
It’s the latest in a string of accidents at the corner, the most recent one being Aug. 24 when another late-night driver hit the corner of the building.
Another neighbor, Diana Hartley, mentioned that accident as well. “This is not a good corner for accidents,” Hartley said, looking at the damaged building. “This is a bad, bad corner.”
Firefighters were preparing to have the pickup truck pulled from the building and were putting together a brace to shore up the building as the truck had taken out a load-bearing post.
No one from Starbucks was on the scene, but it’s probably safe to assume they won’t be open in the morning.
Update 9 a.m.: Starbucks is closed until further notice due to structural damage. Here’s what the damage looked like at 7 a.m.
Update 10 a.m.: PhinneyWood reader Mike Veitenhans sent us the photo below of John Shepherd, who owns the adjacent Red Mill Burgers as well as the building housing both Red Mill and Starbucks, inspecting the damage (he’s at center). With him is his brother, a contractor, and a Starbucks representative. Shepherd told Veitenhans that Red Mill (which is always closed on Mondays) plans to open as usual on Tuesday, but Starbucks will be closed for a few days. We’ll keep you posted on its re-opening.
Here’s Seattle Fire Department’s official press release on the incident from its Fire Line blog.
Tags: accident, Seattle Fire Department, Starbucks
December 5th, 2013 by Doree
Friends have set up a fund to help a family that lost their home and nearly everything in it in a Greenwood fire early Monday morning. Seattle Fire Department determined the fire was caused by an overheated electrical cord.
The online fund‘s goal is to raise $10,000 for the family, whose son attends Loyal Heights Elementary in Ballard. As of this afternoon, the fund had already raised more than $2,300.
Tags: fire, fundraising, Seattle Fire Department
December 3rd, 2013 by Doree
Seattle Fire Department says an overheated electrical cord caused a large house fire in Greenwood early Monday morning.
From SFD’s Fire Line (which mistakenly called the area North Ballard):
December 2—An overheated exterior extension cord caused a fire at a home located in North Ballard this morning.
At 1:39 a.m. dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a call reporting flames coming from a home located in the 9700 block of 1st Avenue NW. When Engine Company 31 arrived, they found heavy flames coming from the front porch of the 2-story home. The flames were threatening two homes on either side of the house. Due to the threatening flames, firefighters evacuated both homes on either side of the burning house.
The three occupants of the burning home had safely evacuated from their basement bedroom by the time firefighters arrived on scene. The occupants said the home’s working smoke detectors sounded alerting them to evacuate. Paramedics evaluated and treated the three patients for minor smoke inhalation. Medics and AMR transported the three patients, an adult male, an adult female and an elementary age boy to Harborview to be evaluated by doctors.
It took about 80 minutes to completely extinguish the flames Puget Sound Energy crews were called to secure the gas line to the home. Seattle City Light crews were called to turn off power to the house and the charged electrical lines lying in the front yard.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury while battling the fire. Medics transported him to Harborview Medical Center where he was treated and released.
Fire investigators determined an extension cord overheated igniting combustible materials beneath the front porch. The damage estimate is $300,000 to the structure and $150,000 to the contents.
Tags: fire, Seattle Fire Department
October 24th, 2013 by Doree
The Seattle Fire Department and Seattle Public Library have partnered to promote literacy and raise awareness of home fire safety during October’s Fire Prevention Month. Firefighters will read “No Dragons for Tea” at 10 branches all across the city, including the Greenwood Library, 8016 Greenwood Ave. N., at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 30.
Tags: Greenwood Library, Seattle Fire Department
September 8th, 2013 by Doree
Fire damaged the not-yet-opened G & O Family Cyclery at 8417 Greenwood Ave. N. early Sunday morning.
Rachel sent us this photo.
Seattle Fire tweeted the cause and damage estimate:
A fire this morning at 8417 Grnwood N caused 10K damage to a vacant store. No injuries. Fire accidental, caused by combustible rags.
Tags: fire, G & O Family Cyclery, Seattle Fire Department