July 20th, 2015 by Doree
Whittier Kids, a before- and after-school program at Whittier Elementary in Ballard, which is run by the Phinney Neighborhood Association, is expanding its program and needs a new teacher.
The position is 20 hours a week, from 2-6 p.m. Monday through Friday, with occasional opportunities for additional hours for special events, early release days and school breaks. Salary is $15 an hour. Benefits include 401(k) plan with employer match, self-paid Aflac products, self-paid ORCA pass, three weeks personal time off the first year, increasing annually, and paid holidays.
General Teaching Responsibilities:
- Planning and implementation of a variety of age-appropriate and theme related activities to include music, art drama, crafts, games, dance, science/nature and sports;
- Supervises and facilitates curriculum activities and areas to promote positive learning experiences for the children in a harmonious, safe and caring environment;
- Maintains appropriate standards for the children’s behavior using non-punitive methods that teaches self-discipline while supporting children’s self-esteem;
- Provides careful and concentrated supervision of play areas to insure children’s safety and learning;
• Promotes mutual respect and models problem solving skills;
- Gears the program to the needs of the individual child with concern for the child’s interests, special needs, special talents and individual style and pace of learning; treats each child with dignity and respect;
- Familiar with minimum DSHS licensing requirements relating to classroom supervision, health and safety; and
- Consults with the WK Supervisor or PNA Kids Director when difficult or unfamiliar situations arise.
- Participates with other staff in daily room set-up and take down tasks;
- Assumes an equal share of the ordered arrangement appearance, décor and learning environment of the classrooms; and
- Fosters and maintains cooperative relationships with all other staff members.
The PNA is seeking a knowledgeable, energetic Teacher whose experience and philosophy closely aligns with an emphasis on individualized, play based, inclusive programming and practices. The teacher has the planning, coordination and supervisory skills to implement a high quality, developmentally appropriate, anti-bias program and to manage the program budget in a responsible manner. This individual is skilled in balancing the needs of children, parents and staff, and supervising teachers while supporting individual strengths and allowing a degree of autonomy in the classroom.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) credits are preferred.
- Experience and proven success working with school-age children (ages 5-12).
- Enthusiasm and interest in working with school-age children (ages 5-12).
- Ability to practice non-punitive discipline methods.
- Approval of Washington State Criminal Records Check.
- Current certification of CPR, First Aid and HIV/Bloodborne Pathogens instruction.
- Documented negative TB test.
- Food Handler’s Permit.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Position will be open until filled.
Tags: Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA, Whittier Kids
June 2nd, 2015 by Doree
The Phinney Ridge Community Council and Phinney Neighborhood Association are hosting a candidates forum for the new Seattle City Council District 6 from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday, June 6, at the PNA, 6532 Phinney Ave. N., in the Brick Building.
Incumbent Councilmember Mike O’Brien and challengers Catherine Weatbrook, Jon Lisbin and Stan Shaufler will answer questions on zoning, land use, development, transportation, environment, civic engagement, public safety, etc.
“The move to district elections represents one of the biggest political changes in Seattle in years,” PRCC board member Ted Inkley said in a press release. “It’s important that District residents learn the views of those who want to represent them, and equally important that the candidates hear residents’ concerns. This is especially critical given the important decisions facing City Hall during this time of rapid growth and change in Seattle.”
District 6 covers Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, Greenwood, Ballard and Fremont. Click here for a PDF map of District 6. Click here for information on all districts.
Tags: District 6, elections, Phinney Neighborhood Association, Phinney Ridge Community Council, PNA, Seattle City Council
May 26th, 2015 by Doree
The huge annual PhinneyWood Garage Sale Day, is coming up this Saturday, May 30, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Coordinated by the Phinney Neighborhood Association, the sale features more than 100 garage sales throughout the neighborhood, attracting bargain hunters from throughout the city (so be careful of extra traffic and pedestrians).
You can check out the online interactive map to see what each seller is hoping to unload.
The PNA also hosts a flea market in the lower parking lot, at 6532 Phinney Ave. N., plus a tool sale at the PNA Tool Library at 6615 Dayton Ave. N.
Tags: garage sales, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PhinneyWood Garage Sale Day, PNA, PNA Tool Library
May 11th, 2015 by Doree
More than 100 homes will be on the official map of the PhinneyWood Garage Sale Day, set for Saturday, May 30, and coordinated by the Phinney Neighborhood Association. The PNA will produce both a printed map and an online interactive map.
This is a huge event in our neighborhood, attracting thousands of bargain hunters from around the city. The PNA also hosts a flea market in the lower parking lot, at 6532 Phinney Ave. N., plus a tool sale at the PNA Tool Library at 6615 Dayton Ave. N.
Sellers can list general and specialty items to attract buyers. Register your sale by May 23 online or call 206-783-2244.
Tags: Garage Sale Day, garage sales, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA, PNA Tool Library
April 21st, 2015 by Doree
Artist Lance Carleton’s painted steel and stainless steel sculpture, “As They Ran Past Each Other,” is the newest installation in the Heart of Phinney Park on the west side of Phinney Avenue North and North 67th Street.
Carleton works in steel, stainless steel, copper, brass and recycled materials. To purchase this sculpture, contact Pamela Jaynes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tags: art, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA
April 2nd, 2015 by Doree
The annual PhinneyWood Garage Sale Day, organized by the Phinney Neighborhood Association, is coming up on Saturday, May 30. More than 100 garage sales will take place throughout the neighborhood from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Register by May 23 to get your sale on the online and paper map.
You can also reserve a booth at the PNA’s flea market. And stop by the PNA’s Tool Library for great deals on tools.
The cost to register a garage sale is $15 for PNA members and $20 for non-members and non-profits. Flea market space can be reserved for $25 for PNA members and $30 for non-members.
Tags: flea market, Garage Sale Day, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA, PNA Tool Library
February 4th, 2015 by Doree
United Way of King County is offering free tax preparation services at 25 locations throughout King County, including the Phinney Neighborhood Association, 6532 Phinney Ave. N., through April 18. The free service is for households making less than $60,000. While there, taxpayers also can get information on one-on-one financial counseling, healthcare enrollment, and other public benefits.
Tax preparation is provided from 5-9 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. No appointment is needed. (If you are filing with your spouse, you both must be present to e-file.)
You must bring:
- Social Security card/ITIN letters for everyone on the return
- Photo ID
- All tax statements, such as W-2 form, 1099 form, SSA-1099 form, etc.
It’s recommended you also bring your bank account number and routing number for direct deposit of refunds, and a copy of last year’s tax return.
Tags: Phinney Center, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA, taxes, United Way
January 20th, 2015 by Doree
The annual PNA Home Design & Remodel Fair is this Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Phinney Center, 6532 Phinney Ave. N. The theme is “get connected.” Admission is $4 for PNA members, $6 for non-members.
This is your chance to meet local professionals such as architects, contractors, interior designers, plumbers, etc., and get advice on permits, solar power and how to make technological improvements to make your home more efficient.
Throughout the day there will be presentations on sustainability and green building, and perennial favorites such as “How to Work with an Architect” and “How to Hire a Contractor.”
Check the home fair website for a complete presentation schedule.
Tags: Phinney Center, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA, PNA Home Design & Remodel Fair, remodeling
January 13th, 2015 by Doree
Ballard Preschool Cooperative, a Phinney Neighborhood Association program, is hosting an open house from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 24, at 7503 18th Ave. NW. Parents and children can meet the teachers, view the classroom and learn more about the preschool. Please RSVP to email@example.com if you will attend.
Ballard Preschool Co-op offers play-based classes for children from birth through pre-K.
Tags: Ballard Preschool Cooperation, Phinney Neighborhood Association, PNA, preschool