A news blog for Seattle's Phinney Ridge and Greenwood neighborhoods


Beachcombers Kids Cuts looking for temporary space after Friday night fire

November 15th, 2015 by Doree

A fire at Beachcombers Kids Cuts brought more than a dozen emergency vehicles to 6417 Phinney Ave. N. Friday night. According to the Real Time 911 log, the fire happened right at 10:30 p.m.


Photo from Steve Gunn.

The front windows are now boarded up and it looks like the window above the door was blown out.


Kelly Vice has owned Beachcombers for 13 years. She says the fire investigator told her it appears to be an electrical fire that started near the front desk.

Vice says all the scissors are undamaged, and she thinks the popular dolphin and turtle chairs may be salvageable, but all the hairdryers were destroyed. The fire didn’t reach the back play room, but it has extensive smoke and water damage.

She says they are looking for temporary space to keep providing haircuts for their clients. If anyone knows of any appropriate space, please put a note below in comments or email us at tips@phinneywood.com and we’ll pass along the information.

Vice sent these photos of the damage inside.

BC fire-resized

Most of the the customer photo wall was destroyed.


Thanks to Val for the photo of the outside, and Morganopolis, Melissa and Sue for the tips!

CommentsTags: , ,

Firefighters extinguish house fire at 1st Ave NW and NW 83rd Street in Greenwood

July 30th, 2015 by Doree

Update Friday: Investigators estimate the damage to the home at $70,000. The official cause “accidental, mechanical damage of electrical wiring system during the installation of insulation.”

Update 4:15 p.m.: SFD Public Information Officer Kyle Moore just called me with more details. He said the call came in about 1 p.m. A man was home with his dog while some work was being done in his attic. The workers said to call 911 and everyone evacuated. The fire burned in the attic space, causing a lot of smoke and more flames when firefighters opened up the roof. The fire was extinguished by 1:51 p.m. The Red Cross was called in to provide housing for the man, a woman and a child. The house is not a total loss; fire investigators have not yet provided a damage estimate. Moore said the cause was accidental/electrical.

Earlier: Seattle firefighters have extinguished a fire in a house in the 100 block of NW 83rd St. According to a Seattle Fire Department tweet, the home’s occupant and a dog made it safely outside.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

Another tweet with a picture showed firefighters being cooled down by huge misting fans because of the heat.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

Photo by Seattle Fire Department.

We have a message in to the Fire Department Public Information Officer and will update this post when we have more information.

Thanks to Jeremy for alerting us!

Comments Off on Firefighters extinguish house fire at 1st Ave NW and NW 83rd Street in GreenwoodTags: , ,

Community raises more than $13,000 for Greenwood family that lost everything in house fire

December 17th, 2013 by Doree

The community has rallied around a Greenwood family of three that lost nearly everything in a house fire on Dec. 2. An online fund set up to help the family had an initial goal of raising $10,000. Today it stands at $12,334.

And Phinney Neighborhood Association Executive Director Lee Harper tells us that Winter Festival participants on Dec. 7-8 donated an additional $1,035 to help the family get back on their feet.

Comments Off on Community raises more than $13,000 for Greenwood family that lost everything in house fireTags: , , ,

Fund set up to help family that escaped fire at Greenwood home on Monday

December 5th, 2013 by Doree

Friends have set up a fund to help a family that lost their home and nearly everything in it in a Greenwood fire early Monday morning. Seattle Fire Department determined the fire was caused by an overheated electrical cord.

The online fund‘s goal is to raise $10,000 for the family, whose son attends Loyal Heights Elementary in Ballard. As of this afternoon, the fund had already raised more than $2,300.

Comments Off on Fund set up to help family that escaped fire at Greenwood home on MondayTags: , ,

Overheated electrical cord causes Greenwood house fire early Monday

December 3rd, 2013 by Doree

Seattle Fire Department says an overheated electrical cord caused a large house fire in Greenwood early Monday morning.

From SFD’s Fire Line (which mistakenly called the area North Ballard):

December 2—An overheated exterior extension cord caused a fire at a home located in North Ballard this morning.

At 1:39 a.m. dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a call reporting flames coming from a home located in the 9700 block of 1st Avenue NW. When Engine Company 31 arrived, they found heavy flames coming from the front porch of the 2-story home. The flames were threatening two homes on either side of the house. Due to the threatening flames, firefighters evacuated both homes on either side of the burning house.

The three occupants of the burning home had safely evacuated from their basement bedroom by the time firefighters arrived on scene. The occupants said the home’s working smoke detectors sounded alerting them to evacuate. Paramedics evaluated and treated the three patients for minor smoke inhalation. Medics and AMR transported the three patients, an adult male, an adult female and an elementary age boy to Harborview to be evaluated by doctors.

It took about 80 minutes to completely extinguish the flames Puget Sound Energy crews were called to secure the gas line to the home. Seattle City Light crews were called to turn off power to the house and the charged electrical lines lying in the front yard.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury while battling the fire. Medics transported him to Harborview Medical Center where he was treated and released.

Fire investigators determined an extension cord overheated igniting combustible materials beneath the front porch. The damage estimate is $300,000 to the structure and $150,000 to the contents.

Comments Off on Overheated electrical cord causes Greenwood house fire early MondayTags: ,

Fire damages new G & O Family Cyclery in Greenwood early Sunday

September 8th, 2013 by Doree

Fire damaged the not-yet-opened G & O Family Cyclery at 8417 Greenwood Ave. N. early Sunday morning.

Rachel sent us this photo.

Fire-G&O Family Cyclery-9-8-13-resized

Seattle Fire tweeted the cause and damage estimate:

A fire this morning at 8417 Grnwood N caused 10K damage to a vacant store. No injuries. Fire accidental, caused by combustible rags.

CommentsTags: , ,

Roll out the block parties, Night Out Against Crime is today

August 5th, 2013 by Dale

Tonight, Tuesday, Aug. 6 is national Night Out, which means lots of street-closing block parties. Be careful driving and expect that you may have to take a few detours to get to your destination.

Here in Seattle, you have until noon today to register your event if you want to close your street to celebrate. Here are some Night Out FAQs, including tips on blocking your street.

“Night Out” is promoted by Seattle Police Department Crime Prevention. Their goal is to heighten crime prevention awareness, increase neighborhood support for anti-crime efforts and unite communities.

Put another way, you get to know your neighbors a bit better, chat about what’s happening in your neighborhood, eat too much food and perhaps enjoy a few beverages, all while standing in the middle of the street.

Cheers to your neighborhood!

Comments Off on Roll out the block parties, Night Out Against Crime is todayTags: , , ,

Compactor fire temporarily closes Goodwill store

July 1st, 2013 by Dale

The Ballard Goodwill Store, 6400 8th Ave. NW, is closed this evening due to a small fire in a dark blue trash compactor (partially visible in the open right hand doorway).


The fire was reported at 3:46 p.m. No one was injured. Firefighters were still on the scene two hours later when employees waiting outside were told to clean up their workspaces inside the store, then head home.


Store employees said they expected the store to open at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Comments Off on Compactor fire temporarily closes Goodwill storeTags: , ,

Firefighters rescue dog from Greenwood house fire on Tuesday

June 26th, 2013 by Doree

Seattle firefighters rescued a dog from a house fire in Greenwood on Tuesday afternoon. From Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Line:

A Greenwood basement fire is being called an accidental fire by Seattle Fire Investigators. The Seattle Fire Investigative Unit determined an unattended propane heater started a fire in the basement of a home located in the 8700 block of 2nd Avenue NW.

At 1:15 p.m. on Tuesday June 25th, dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call reporting smoke coming from the basement of the 1-story home. Engine company 25 arrived and found smoke in the basement of the home. Firefighters made entry and completely extinguished the fire in 8 minutes.

The residents were not home at the time of the fire but firefighters did rescue a dog from the house.

Due to the extensive smoke and soot damage, the residents are staying at another location until the home can be thoroughly cleaned.

Investigators determined the propane heater ignited nearby plastic and cardboard combustible materials. The damage loss is $15,000 to the contents of the home and $5,000 to the structure.

There were no reported injuries.

CommentsTags: , , , ,