June 26th, 2013 by Doree
Seattle firefighters rescued a dog from a house fire in Greenwood on Tuesday afternoon. From Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Line:
A Greenwood basement fire is being called an accidental fire by Seattle Fire Investigators. The Seattle Fire Investigative Unit determined an unattended propane heater started a fire in the basement of a home located in the 8700 block of 2nd Avenue NW.
At 1:15 p.m. on Tuesday June 25th, dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call reporting smoke coming from the basement of the 1-story home. Engine company 25 arrived and found smoke in the basement of the home. Firefighters made entry and completely extinguished the fire in 8 minutes.
The residents were not home at the time of the fire but firefighters did rescue a dog from the house.
Due to the extensive smoke and soot damage, the residents are staying at another location until the home can be thoroughly cleaned.
Investigators determined the propane heater ignited nearby plastic and cardboard combustible materials. The damage loss is $15,000 to the contents of the home and $5,000 to the structure.
There were no reported injuries.
Tags: dog, dogs, fire, pets, Seattle Fire Department
March 11th, 2012 by Doree
A miniature Pomeranian named Arlee ran away from a home near NW 73rd Street and 13th Ave NW in Ballard on Friday afternoon. She was later seen in Phinney Ridge near NW 73rd Street and Greenwood, heading east.
Arlee is very shy and skittish. She has a collar and tags, but no microchip.
If you’ve seen Arlee, please call 206-384-1290 or 206-240-5823.
Tags: Arlee, dog, lost pets, pets
June 25th, 2011 by Doree
A black lab died in a house fire at 209 N. 90th St. in Greenwood tonight. The first call came in to the fire department at 6:32 p.m. The occupant of the rental house was not home at the time, and as of 8 p.m., no one had been able to contact him yet. However, the owner of the home had been contacted.
Fire investigators determined that the accidental fire started in the dryer near the back door. Batallion Chief R. R. Mondragon said it looked like the fire had been smoldering for some time, and that the dog had been dead for a while.
Capt. R. Shakoor-Asadi of Fire Station 21 looks at the burned dryer where the fire started.
Capt. R. Shakoor-Asadi of Fire Station 21 said it was a young boy living nearby who first smelled smoke and called 911.
Tags: dog, fire, pets
May 7th, 2011 by Doree
Update May 19: Tyra tells us that Pepper was found today on Capital Hill and is now back home.
We first wrote about Pepper, a missing Husky mix, a week ago. Pepper is still missing, but people have reported possibly seeing her several times.
Please continue to keep an eye out. We are posting and reposting everywhere we can think of. We are dropping fliers off at Vets and Animal hospitals, post offices, coffee shops. I’ve posted and will continue to repost on line.
Reportedly, she’s been seen as far west as heading towards golden gardens and as far east as Lower Woodlands.
Here’s the latest flier with information on Pepper.
Tags: dog, lost dog, Pepper, pets
November 27th, 2009 by Doree
A small black and white pitbull mix went missing near the Holman Road QFC today. He’s got a white cross-shape on his chest. He’s very friendly and responds to “Cruz.” If you’ve seen him or found him, please call Eileen at 206-730-5673.
Tags: dog, missing, pets
November 17th, 2009 by Doree
Art for Animals’ Sake is taking holiday pet portraits on Nov. 22 and 29 at Deluxe Hair in Phinney Ridge. Proceeds from the minimum $30 donation will benefit OldDog Haven.
Call 206-297-2002 to make an appointment between 12-6 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 22 and 29.
Deluxe Hair is at 6512 Phinney Ave. N. They’ll shut the door behind each pet so you don’t have to worry about them running out. Cats are welcome, too.
Tags: dog, holidays, pets
November 5th, 2009 by Doree
Update Friday morning: Both dogs were found overnight! See comments for details.
Two dogs are missing in the neighborhood tonight.
My sweet and friendly 8 yr female yellow lab mix went missing last night at 86th & 3rd. Her name is Bella and she is wearing a black collar with silver name tags. She is also microchipped. Please if you have spotted or found her, please call me at 206-450-9042.
I am afraid the sirens from last night’s fires may have scared her off.
And the owners of Hazel Salon report that their dog ran off tonight when they opened the door to take out the trash.
Gary…ran across the street (dragging his leash), was hit by a car, and then ran off. We searched for two hours but couldn’t find him. If anyone sees or finds a small, shaggy-haired black dog in the Phinney Ridge area then please give Tara a call at 206-605-0471. He has a microchip, no tag, and may still be wearing his collar and dragging a leash behind him.
We’d also like to say thanks to the many neighbors who came out into the rain and wind to help us search.
Tags: dog, pets
August 26th, 2008 by Doree
UPDATE: As of Sept. 1, Athena’s owner, Dianna, reports that Athena is back home. Here’s what she posted in the comments section:
Thank you all – Athena is back home!! I didn’t even know this was posted until today (a neighbor told me) so my thanks to you and the respondents. Athena escaped somehow (over our 6 foot fences in the back yard) and ended up “breaking in” to a yard (also with 6 foot fences) to the company of two other dogs. The owners took her to a local vet where they saw our flyer and got her back to us. Thanks to everyone who was keeping an eye out for her!!!!
Athena is a Golden Retriever mix that ran away from her Phinney home after getting spooked during Monday’s thunderstorm.
Flyers on telephone poles describe her as having white on her chest, paws and tip of her tail. She weighs about 60 pounds. She is friendly but probably scared. She was wearing a turquoise bandana and is microchipped, but wasn’t wearing her collar with tags.
Tags: dog, pets