Boy, do I hate to bring this up. And no, I am *not* going to tell you
    which street I live north or south of, because this sort of thing
    happens everywhere.

But. We weren't home during the big artwalk, and when we came home,
    our little metal mailbox (which attaches to the house) had an open
    flap, and was empty. We almost *always* get some sort of crap fliers
    or junk mail, especially since we are receiving mail for two elderly
    parents as well as our own. So....it seems likely that if something had
    been delivered that day, that it had been intercepted by someone else.

Since then, I have been *very* careful to close the top flap whenever I
    remove mail. Yesterday, I was home for the mail delivery....but later that
    evening, I saw that one of the two top flaps had been opened. Not by the
    postman, who had already been there. Not by me. So I can only conclude
    that someone had opened it to peek and see if there was anything worth
    taking.

This is creepy. And eventually, worse than creepy, if we start losing
    important mail.

I had a nice chat with Sip & Ship this afternoon, to find out what
    getting a private mailbox entails. But since we are dealing with
    mail for two others as well as my husband and I, this would be a
    giant P.I.T.A.

I remember a thread a year or so ago, when people were having
    packages stolen off their porches - one or two people had mounted
    small video cameras and one even filmed someone in the act. So...
    what sort of inexpensive but effective "spycam" do you folks
    recommend, if we want to go that route?

Thanks.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. MonkeyPilot

MonkeyPilot

That is quite sketchy. Get a locking mailbox, so you can continue to receive mail at home.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiktok

Or, have a mail slot installed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

BEL

There was a discussion about this on MyBallard.com not too long ago. Here's a link to the camera setup that one person is using: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P4UTLK/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Here's the link to the entire thread: http://www.myballard.com/forum/topic.php?id=6842

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. rainbird

rainbird

Locking mailboxes! Never heard of them, but you had better believe
    that's the first thing I'll try. THANK YOU!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherneighbor

Yeah,we got locking mailbox with that last round of mail theft. It's great --- HOWEVER --- were I to buy one again, I'd get a larger one. The one we have is great for normal mail, but packages don't fit in the slot. Our mail carrier tends to just leave packages that don't fit leaning up against the door. :( Sometimes he or she will put the door mat over it, sometimes not.

Speaking of which - now that we have the locking mailbox, now our carrier doesn't always stick the mail all the way in. Sometimes (about half the time) the mail is just wedged in, and sticking out the top, clearly visible to any and all walking by. I left a note on the box, begging them to please put it all the way into the box because of local mail theft... Is there someone else I should talk to about this?

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

OneGuy

Yes, call the Wallingford post office at (206) 547-1406 and ask for the carrier supervisor. Explain the problem, and they will talk to the carrier.

In the past they have told me that unless people call, they have no idea that there is a problem and they can't fix it. They encourage us to report any issue with mail delivery, including mail addresses to someone else that is put into the wrong mailbox.

(Mail for the 98103 zip code is delivered out of the Wallingford station, so it does absolutely no good to report the problem to the clerks at the Greenwood post office.)

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. rainbird

rainbird

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully we will buy one this weekend.
    What's a good local place to pick one up?

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. jessicadolph

jessicadolph

We got the Big One at Home Depot. Wasn't cheap, but we also get a ridiculous amount of magazines, and they don't fit in the smaller ones. I think ours was about $80 but for the peace of mind, worth every penny. You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere though.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanababs

Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. I have sometimes wondered about our mailbox and no mail, with the flap up--also attached to our house but easily accessible from the front steps. We usually get one scrap of junk mail if nothing else so odd when there's nothing and the mail box is opened. Never thought of a locking mailbox so that will be one for this weekend. Thanks Phinneywood neighbors!

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

dfh

Good luck on results with reporting it to the Post Office.

We receive monthly medical supplies which require Signature Confirmation. For years our carrier has signed for it himself!

I called the Wallingford office and they thanked me for calling and said they would speak to the carrier as this is not allowed. Of course I had the carrier's name (since he signed for the package) but even so he's still signing for the packages.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherneighbor

Oneguy - thanks for the tip! I think I'll call the next time this happens... (which will probably be this week. grrr)

dfh - yes, I get a lot of packages as well, ones that I had thought were signature required, that I've found just placed next to the door. WHEN I"M HOME! ... I realize that perhaps a knock on the door when I have a package is over and above the line of duty for our mail carriers, but really - I'm home, almost every day unless I'm running errands. A knock to let me know a package is here would be delightful.

I remember our mail carrier did that when I was a kid, since our mailbox wasn't big enough to hold packages as well. What's happened?

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherneighbor

Oh - and locking ones are carried at either Lowes or Home Depot. Don't remember which we got. Still thinking about upgrading to a bigger one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikePhoto

We got ours at Lowes. The Wednesday conglomeration of supermarket ads usually winds up sticking out the top (I have contacted RedPlum to be removed from that mailing list). If I were buying a new one, I'd be looking for a larger one with a slightly larger access for the postal worker to stuff the mail.

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.