Forum is useless with all this spam

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sezdog

This is ridiculous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

phinneyminnie

Has there been any more thought on how to to decrease the spam? It seems like the high volume of spam has increased substantially (i.e. over 50% of posts are spam!), causing the forum to lose credibility and become simply another junk mail account. I appreciate that the forum moderators have full-time jobs and so there needs to be a system in place that is simple and does not require full-time moderating. Are there better filters available? What about moving to posts via Facebook? I know one earlier reason for not doing this was that this could preclude someone from posting right away in the case of a lost pet, etc. While I appreciate this rationale, as the spam piles up, I think it is time to explore other options because the system in place does not seem to be working. What do other people think?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

How come there is virtually never spam on MyBallard, but Phinneywood and MyFremont are overrun with it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeb29

Yes it is. This is a valuable forum to me neighbor-wise but it's next to impossible to pick through all the spam postings. I feel for the moderators but it's time to go to the owners and ask for help or ask for a different system. I really don't see why this is allowed to continue.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

murrcat

Here is a quote from a response Doree made approximately one month ago:

"Thanks again for all the helpful ideas, everyone. Our admins (the Geeky Swedes from My Ballard) are going to work on this soon, but it's not as easy as you think. They say that BBPress switched from a standalone app to a plugin, which means that to upgrade to the new BBPress and its more effective spam filters, they have to complete a full database transition and rebuild the templates. They are currently doing that on one of our sister sites, then they'll do it on PhinneyWood.

And I'm afraid we can't give volunteers access to the Forum to help with moderation, because that would also give them access to the entire site - all stories, comments, ISP addresses, etc.

Thanks for your continued patience!"
    http://www.phinneywood.com/forum/topic.php?id=64160

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeb29

It's gone beyond patience, I think. The Swedes make a lot on these sites by selling advertisement. I'd imagine Ballard gets more hits than this one but obviously this one sells too. This is a business venture and it's unacceptable how poorly it's run/maintained. Again, no offense meant to the moderators, they're only as good as the materials they are given.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

But surely someone can delete the spam manually while this transition is happening. While getting rid of all the spam might be too much to ask for, it could be reduced.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeb29

I think the moderators have day jobs and this is far beyond what a normal person should have to put up with unless this IS their job. It's amazing how quickly the spam people get through so obviously unless someone is up 24/7 deleting rapidly, it's going to happen unless the system is updated/repaired/changed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

Hmm, you are right. Although if it is the Geeky Swedes, my understanding is that ads from the site make this their day jobs, it still may be way too time-consuming. I tried bumping up several real posts late last night. It's only been about 7-8 hours, and they are already getting buried.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

@sezdog and others, are you still seeing lots of spam? I just did a quick visual scan of topics in this, uh, forum, and I didn't see any.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

Right now as I type there are only two spam messages. Both posted within the last hour. Someone has been cleaning up the forum; I've seen 6-8 spam messages come in each day, but they soon disappear. Thanks, forum-cleaning-elves!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

sezdog

@meonkeys, I believe it was last night there was so much spam, that's all that was visible on the front page.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeb29

I'd say the Swedes don't care. The Ballard site just regurgitates "news" taken from other sites. This one has actual writing but the forum is out of control. It still gets hits so the Swedes make money in advertising.

If they cared, the quality would be better and the problems would be fixed.

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.