PhinneyWood Forum » Open Forum

mean woman this afternoon in Greenwood

(22 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by RIPKingdome
  • Latest reply from hamsandwich

No tags yet.

1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RIPKingdome

I witnessed the weirdest thing this afternoon, approx. 4:55 pm on 85th just west of Greenwood Ave, near the antique store & the Mexican restaurant.

I was walking, and there were several people near me, including a quiet couple with a baby, and an average looking woman in her maybe her 30's (she was approx 5'5", dark hair that was pulled back, Caucasian, wearing nice workout clothing), we were walking west bound. A lady was approaching us, getting ready to pass us when the woman I just described went out of her way (like, she changed her path of walking) to go up to the woman approaching us, said "EXCUSE ME!", and shoved her to the ground!

Then she continued walking... the woman who was shoved stood there, look bewildered. She looked in the direction of the shover, and then the shover started mouthing off at the lady she had just shoved (who looked really confused), telling her that she should pound her into the ground. Then she got in her face, I think she maybe pushed her again and then the shover started walking west bound again...

And then she started acting really strange. She walked into the Smoke Shop (I think that is what it is called, across from the carpet place? Next to the Mason clock.), was in there for 10 seconds maybe, then she ran across the street to Bartells. On her way to Bartells she encountered another woman in her walking path, and she looked like she was going to shove her, too, but she didn't. She was in Bartells for another 10 seconds. And then she walked past Blockbuster, and disappeared....

I never saw her again, but I was terrified as I waited for the bus. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest... the woman who was shoved to the ground was standing two feet from me. And it seemed so random.

Sorry if I went on & on... I thought this behavior was very odd, and I included as much of a description of the "mean woman"/"Shover" as I could because I dont want anyone to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and have an encounter with this woman. Her walk was angry, her actions were mean & angry, and she seemed very abrupt.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MagdaT

Did you call the police? Her behavior is called "assault" and it's a crime.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RIPKingdome

I was too scared to do anything.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MagdaT

I understand that it was scary but what does it take to step into a store, pull out your cell and dial 911. If you are ever assaulted in a public place I hope that passersby are not "too scared to do anything" to help you. In addition, I am certain that given recent events in the area of Greenwood and 85th, the police would be very interested in speaking to anyone who is acting strangely around there. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but really we have to look out for each other out there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. SPG

SPG

Never assume that "someone else" will be the one to call 911 or do something. You are the someone else that we all need. How does that saying go? "We are the people we were waiting for."

People are too often afraid to call 911 in a belief that there is something more important happening or that they will get in trouble for calling in something that turns out to be no big deal. The 911 operator will put you on hold if something more serious is happening and if the assault turns out to be nothing, then the cops will just move on to other business.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christy

That person doesn't sound just "mean," she sounds mentally disturbed. She probably has mental illness and is off her meds (if she was ever on them). Please step into a store and call 911 next time.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

heh

I'm going to call 911 on your verbal assault on him. Geesh...

Thanks for trying to inform people of this woman, RIPK. They sort of missed the point.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. VinceK

VinceK

Always keep your cell phone within reach. Turn your camera on and take her pic from a safe distance. If possible try to follow her to her car and note down her plate number.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

OneGuy

This sounds like a description of meth-head behavior. Angry and agitated.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. Silver

Silver

RIPKingdome - sorry that some of the people above went into lecture mode. You were scared and you didn't know what to do. I've certainly felt like that before!

Never whip out your cell phone if you don't feel it is safe to do so. An innocent bystander to a woman's assault at a bus stop on Capitol Hill ended up a victim himself because the assaulter saw him calling 911.

A few months back I was nearly run off the road up near Greenlake. The aggressive driver got stuck at the stoplight at 50th and Stoneway. I got out my cell phone and opened my car door to take a picture of his license plate. He got out of his car and came after me, trying to take the phone out of my hand. Scared the crap out of me.

Don't call 911 until you feel safe doing so. Nobody has a right to lecture you if they weren't there and didn't experience what you experienced.

And RIP, keep talking about what happened. It will help you process the feelings you're having about it. When something scary comes at you out of the blue like that it can be really surreal and disturbing. Find friends that can listen without judging.

Take care, and thanks for sharing your experience so that others might recognize this nutjob if they encounter her!

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

RIPKingdome

thanks, Silver... you are always very informative and logical.

I realize I should have called, but people need to realize that everyone here has different circumstances.. For starters I am a short female, and I'm not in the best health, the "crazy/mean" lady seemed to posses a great deal of strength, and the the woman who was shoved was at least a foot taller than me. My hands were full. I was on my way from one bus to another, as I DO NOT DRIVE, I transfer buses in that area every day. I'm on my feet in that neighborhood daily, last thing I want to do is make trouble with a "crazy/mean" person. I had to wait at the bus stop in front of Bartells, which is the building that she disappeared behind, constantly looking around, hoping I wouldn't run into her.

VinceK, did you even read my original post? I was on foot! She was shoved a random woman, was walking erratically and fast, and disappeared behind the Bartells/Blockbuster building.. I'm not going to play "detective" and follow her (especially not close enough to take her picture with my cell phone... or should I have stopped her & asked to take her photo?). I kinda like being alive.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. SPG

SPG

Taking the picture isn't necessary, but making the call should have been. You don't have to be obvious to the shover, just call it in and tell them where you are quietly or wait till the offending person is out of earshot.
    In your original post, you made it sound like this was a "huh, weird thing happened today" kind of scenario and that you and everyone else just brushed it off. I think that was unintended on your part but it's little wonder others would respond to that type of post.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

RIPKingdome

I didn't just "brush it off", I was freaked out, and very scared. I'm in poor health, I see something like that.. it is very hard for me. I was still shaking when I got home.

I posted here, because at that point I really didn't know what to do... I mean, when it happened, I was WALKING WITH OTHER PEOPLE, including A MAN, and they didn't do anything in the moment, either. But, because I actually posted here, suddenly, I am the responsible party? What makes you think I even have a cell phone, and that it was on me? ( I mean, yeah, I have one, but I sometimes leave it at home. Sometimes it gets turned off. And the very next day I left my house w/o it).

Posting here with a description of her, and when it happened is what I did, and I stand behind it... but I am beginning to wonder why I even bothered with that because it seems you all have this attitude that I didn't do enough?! Next time I see someone do something weird you'll be glad to know I won't bother posting here.. I mean, why should I? Just because I didn't get attacked in person doesn't mean I deserve to be attacked here (honestly, you guys are no better than the shover)... just a bunch of bullies!

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. Greenwood_D

Greenwood_D

It was weird reading this, because I have heard the same kind of story from a co-worker who was catching the bus on 85th up by 15th ave. NW.
    It's got to be the same crazy woman.
    He said she was trying to pick a fight with all the girls at the bus stop and was acting erratic and out-of-control.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

heh

I would like to point out that I have avoided registering a username to post in these forums but I did JUST to defend you, RIPK.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. VinceK

VinceK

I wasn't "lecturing". Just trying to make you guys more aware of your surroundings which is why I said use the cell phone only from a safe distance.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. VinceK

VinceK

Silver, the incident where the aggressive driver came after you and you got scared....you really want people to be afraid all the time when a situation like that happens? Leave the scene and run for your life?

How about standing up to someone once in a while?

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. SPG

SPG

RIPK, You missed the key phrase in my comment: "I think that was unintended on your part". I realize after you followed up what the situation was, but it wasn't entirely clear at first. I'm sorry that you were so rattled by this incident, but acting in the face of danger can turn that feeling of helplessness into control of the situation. I'm not saying you should have thrown kung-fu moves and gotten into a battle royale, but calling 911 discreetly from a safe distance would have put you in a position of control and not left you wondering and worried about what you witnessed.
    I'd hate to think if you were the person shoved to the ground and nobody else did anything.
    I still stand by my comment that people should be looking out for each other and calling 911 when they witness an assault.
    What excuse did the other people have for not acting?

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. Trix

Trix

Fear isn't an easy thing to control. I'm honestly not sure I would have had the presence of mind to call 911 in this situation either (also being a 'short female'). I agree calling 911 would have been a good thing to do, just please try not to judge the actions of others too harshly when fear enters the equation.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christy

I think Trix makes a good point, but maybe instead of thinking of this thread as an attack or judgemental, maybe we can use it to think about how to respond in these kind of situations. What would you want others to do if it happened to you, or your mother, or your daughter? There's always a reason for not wanting to get involved--whether you suspect a neighbor is the victim of domestic violence, or you see an animal that's being abused, or you see an assault at a bus stop. But there are usually smart ways to alert people that can help, with little to no risk to your own safety.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. Silver

Silver

VinceK said, "How about standing up to someone once in a while?"

You don't know me very well, Vince.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

hamsandwich

Hi RIPK,

The problem with these forums, and with electronic communications as a whole, is there is no way to express tone, mood or affectation. As a neutral observer of this particular thread, nothing I've read seemed to be an "attack" on you, just alternative views. But I can understand when reading the posts how it can be interpreted as harsh or judgemental and directed personally at you. I would guess that if each of these forum posters were discussing this with you in person, they wouldn't sound as caustic as their written comments seem. Does that make sense?

Yes, it's easy for all of us who weren't there to say you shoulda, coulda, woulda done this or that. That's the bane of these forums. Please don't stop contributing your experiences and opinions. That's the positive of these forums.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.