Register or log in to post

PhinneyWood Forum » Open Forum

kids selling candy legit?

(38 posts)
  1. kateness

kateness

http://tinypic.com/r/25ezqqg/6
    Boom. The check. Proof I'm not some kind of van driver/troll.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ZoeDog

Kateness... Your arguments are weak. Fond memories of your candy-selling childhood and possible motivations/business plans ascribed to people you don't know do not an argument make.

Further, your need to post to this forum is baffling. Why do you feel the need to scold people on a neighborhood blog in an area where you do not live? The responses in this thread are not "...one huge paranoid rant." Some responses, maybe. All responses? No. Not at all.

If you are so worried about the Google results returned for this organization, why not find them, offer to build them a Web presence pro bono so that the first result returned from an Internet Web engine is something that you find appropriate? Why is your choice, instead, to scold people that you do not know about an organization you know little-to-nothing about?

When you have have verifiable facts about the organization, post them. Until then, you're not likely to get very far.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jeb29

If I do a random search for door to door children selling candy, most of the response is it's a scam. I've seen responses from city governments, the media, and I have even seen stories on how to scam the children as they sell candy for you.

Either way, whether or not the children are intentionally involved in this, it's bad.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TrueCoug

Unfortunately it's suckers like kateness that will keep these scams going.

Hey kateness, send me $20 and I'll send you a Kit Kat. I'm , uh, going on a river rafting trip. My organization is called 30-something Adventures. I don't have a permit or anything, but there's a website that obviously proves it's a legit operation. It's well known that if there's a website, it's the real deal.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe

I know this thread is dying out, and it may be that kateness is no longer even paying attention, but I had to respond. I've been reading this thread and I agree with kateness. The snide comments and paranoia are out of line. There's nothing wrong with asking questions and being safe, but a lot of the attitude I've seen crop up on this thread is arrogant and dismissive. She made good points, clarified who she was and why she was saying what she was saying, and she did it without resorting to snarky one-liners and name-calling. Some folks responded reasonably, disagreeing while maintaining a civil dialogue. Others, not so much. I'm sure I'll get dogpiled by many of you. So it goes. Nothing I can do about that. That's the nature of anonymous online "discussions" sometimes. I wish it was different.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RJM

A kid came by just now selling candy, he told me about a snowboarding trip he was raising money for, so I bought a box of gummy worms. I figured it would be win/win, he can have some money to help him go snowboarding, and I could eat a box of candy. Like Kateness I figured it would be like the fundraising candy drives like I did in 4th grade.

However, I looked on the back of the box, workingteens.com was the website, so I googled the organization and looked at the website. Indeed, the website is sketchy, even devoting a whole page on 'bashing the media' for reporting negative stories on them. I guess my $8 is not going to help them out much, but it's a matter of principle. Anywhere I could report this type of thing considering it's involved in potentially shady business?

Thanks a lot!

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ZoeDog

Better Business Bureau. Possibly the Attorney General's office.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. artman51

artman51

How about men selling meat from a truck?

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.