(10 posts)

No tags yet.

1. allisonw

allisonw

This forum is brutal! Do you need help?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

yeah, the spam is back with a vengeance! I thought they did something that was supposed to keep it out, but whatever it was didn't work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikePhoto

Most of those spammer accounts were created a few months ago as 'zombies' and just started being used. They create a lot of accounts and use one, then when it gets closed start using another that they created in the past, etc.

A few new ones did sneak in, too. Looks like Doree got it all cleaned up again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Doree
    Key Master

Yes, I just cleaned it up. And most of the spam was from new users that registered after our "prove you are human" test was implemented last week. So, obviously, that's not keeping out the spam bots. I've alerted our admins to see what our next move will be. Thanks again for your patience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiktok

How about Facebook logins?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. greenwoodjon

greenwoodjon

To hell with Facebook, I say. Many are waking up to the fact that FB provides another avenue for invasion of privacy and are shying away using it. Others, like me, simply are not FB users and will never be so. It will prohibit many that would otherwise participate in the forum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dfh

I don't like the idea of Facebook here either. I've left a few comments on our news items and just don't like my name and face right out there. It makes me feel vulnerable, I guess because this is the community I live in. I hesitate to comment on news and events anymore.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

tiktok

Oh well, then--if there's not a cost to participating in the forum (i.e. the hassle of creating a FB account and having to own your comments), then there's going to be spam, unless you have board moderators with a huge amount of free time to manually censor the accounts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikePhoto

These aren't completely spam bots; they are humans doing the registration, receiving the password by email, and then turning the bot loose on the account or manually sending the cut-and-paste messages, so a simple 'prove you are human' will not stop them. They are paid little enough for doing this that a single sale makes it worth their time.

Facebook is NOT an option; it cuts out too many people who can't, or won't, use it. The only way to stop the current crop of spammers is to put into place something like a manual approval of the registrations, then moderation of the new users first few messages. If the first message is spam, the account gets deleted. This does take a bit of time, however, and with the rate of registration going on (spammers incoming as I type this!) I'm sure that Doree doesn't have the time to dedicate to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. allisonw

allisonw

No FB. I'm pro-accountability, but I don't need FB knowing everything about me, though they probably already do!

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.