Register or log in to post

PhinneyWood Forum » Open Forum

For whom the trumpet blows

(6 posts)

No tags yet.

1. idbill

idbill

The last few weeks I've heard a trumpet (brass instrument) in the area. (7th & 73rd)

Tonight it voiced itself at 9:30pm.

Anyone know the source?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

seagal

I don't know the source, sorry, but I hope he is the trumpet player that lives/lived by me (87th and Palatine). I haven't heard him lately, but it's winter so the windows have been closed. It would be nice if he's moved on. The playing is beautiful, but that type of instrument is loud and piercing, and difficult to listen to for hours every day. Made for a difficult summer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

So, is 9:30 too late? Even with windows closed? Or is the trumpet just too loud, period.

We are not near that address, but have a trumpet player in the family who often finishes practicing around 9:30, sometimes a bit later. You can hear the music out on the street with our windows closed, although it is faint. No one around here has complained, but now I'm wondering if this is too noisy.

Our trumpeter is good, but even good players have new/rough material and boring scales to play.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

seagal

The trumpeter by us is a very gifted musician and his playing sounds professional though it isn't his profession. He still is here, as I heard him the other day when I was outside, but with both his and our windows closed I don't hear it like I used to.

It's the loudness and the intensity and pitch of the trumpet that gets to me after a while. I can listen to it okay for a few hours each day, but our player tended to play for over 5 hours a day most of the time. It is a beautiful instrument, but loudness and length pf time playing were my difficulties.

Our player either plays outside or right at an open window during the summer so it sounds like you are right next to him.

I am happy that you have a trumpeter.it is a wonderful instrument. We have accoustical guitars, violins, and even drums in our family. The loud instruments are limited to the basement, and also limited is the length of time they play. The violins we don't have to worry about because the sound is not as intense.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. idbill

idbill

FYI, I was not complaining, I was asking for information. The 'trumpet' blowing is very random and not very long, almost like an alarm of some sort. So it is more of an oddity than anything else.

Well, it turns out it is a neighbor testing out Conches that they buy on ebay and gift away. These things are large (12" long, 8" tall weighing 1-2 lbs), and each one sounds slightly different.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

angeline

Wow, interesting! We have one of those shells; it does sound cool when blown. Our trumpeter never practices over an hour, and usually less, so I will rest easy. It is a loud instrument! I usually have to leave the room.

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.