American Homestay Network is looking for families in our neighborhood to host international students, interns and professionals while they study at local institutions. The Redmond-based company tells me they have recently been overwhelmed by demand for students to stay in Phinney Ridge, Greenwood and surrounding neighborhoods.
Host families receive $440-$770 per student (compensation varies based on proximity to the school, meals and transportation, and the type of accommodation). Students are usually college-aged and stays can be as short as a couple of weeks, or last a year or more. Hosts can be families, singles, shared houses, retirees, teachers looking for summer income, or anyone with an extra room and good English conversation skills.
The organization has an immediate need for 20 hosts within 30 minutes of Seattle Pacific University for a 15-day study tour from China from Aug. 1-16. AHN is offering a $100 bonus to either the host or to the person who refers the host in addition to the $388.13 host payment.
If you can host, complete the online application and mention “SPU Study Tour” in the application.
• Host families will pick their student up on August 1st at 6pm at the Ashton Hall Building on SPU and drop student off on August 16th at 10:30am
• Students will attend classes M-F 9am-4:30pm
• Hosts provide 3 meals each day – breakfast and lunch will be self-serve and the host will make dinner at least 5 nights a week
• Hosts will be paid $388.15 plus the $100 bonus
• Total travel time to the SPU campus shall not exceed 50 minutes
• Students have 2 Saturday excursions planned
• Students may need host help to find and purchase a SIM card or a temporary cell phone
• Students are 15-18 years old, from China