A news blog for Seattle's Phinney Ridge and Greenwood neighborhoods

 

Firefighters rescue dog from Greenwood house fire on Tuesday

June 26th, 2013 · Comments

Seattle firefighters rescued a dog from a house fire in Greenwood on Tuesday afternoon. From Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Line:

A Greenwood basement fire is being called an accidental fire by Seattle Fire Investigators. The Seattle Fire Investigative Unit determined an unattended propane heater started a fire in the basement of a home located in the 8700 block of 2nd Avenue NW.

At 1:15 p.m. on Tuesday June 25th, dispatchers at the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call reporting smoke coming from the basement of the 1-story home. Engine company 25 arrived and found smoke in the basement of the home. Firefighters made entry and completely extinguished the fire in 8 minutes.

The residents were not home at the time of the fire but firefighters did rescue a dog from the house.

Due to the extensive smoke and soot damage, the residents are staying at another location until the home can be thoroughly cleaned.

Investigators determined the propane heater ignited nearby plastic and cardboard combustible materials. The damage loss is $15,000 to the contents of the home and $5,000 to the structure.

There were no reported injuries.

Tags: , , , , Uncategorized