Blockbuster Video in Greenwood closing

November 30th, 2012 · Comments

Blockbuster Video at 100 N. 85th St. in Greenwood will close in January. A press spokesperson for Blockbuster told me by email that the store will stop renting movies and begin offering closing discounts on Monday, Dec. 10. The final closing date is fluid, depending on when all the inventory is sold.

The spokesperson said employees will be offered positions at other Blockbuster stores.

Tags: Uncategorized

Comments

1. Whopper says:

Creative destruction works its magic.

2. Rob says:

I will miss Blockbusters and the ability to just walk over and get a movie.

Top Ten Toys told folks possibly a month or more ago that they were moving into Bartell’s space and Bartell’s was moving into BlockBusters space as Blockbusters was closing.

When I asked Blockbuster about their impending closure, they told me there were no plans to close this store. I guess somebody wanted to make sure the employees didn’t start looking for new jobs.

3. patrick says:

Not to be insensitive over the closure but anyone working at this store who wasn’t already looking for other work probably wouldn’t start too hard just based on the news the store would be closing. Blockbuster had lost essentially all of its value over 2 years ago – I’m amazed it took this long for them to close this store.

4. Anthony says:

Kind of bittersweet, I remember going here a lot in the mid 90’s. I still miss Pizza & Pipes :(

5. Sevenless says:

They’ll be offered jobs at what other nearby Blockbuster? There’s not a single one left north of downtown as far as I’m aware. Sounds like a lame attempt by the corporate office to not say they’re all just going to be canned right before Christmas.

6. Greenwood resident says:

Redbox, Netflix, and on-demand have made video rental stores obsolete, just as DVDs and Blu-Ray displaced VHS tapes.

7. Jessica says:

This makes me sad too – we don’t use Netflix and Redbox only has new movies. We use Blockbuster for those rare occasions when you absolutely HAVE to see Back to the Future :) Are there any video stores left in North Seattle?

8. Alan says:

Jessica, how about Rain City, down on NW 8th & Market Street?

9. Buzzy says:

Don’t forget that Scarecrow Video is not THAT far away, and totally worth the trip. They have over 100,000 titles and are locally owned.

Added perk – you can search and reserve films right on their Web site before you ever leave your house!

10. Zoolander says:

Video Isle in Fremont.

11. jessicolph says:

Great thanks! I’m glad there are still some left! I never think of Scarecrow because it seems far but it’s not really.