School of Rock moving to Greenwood next summer

November 15th, 2012 · Comments

School of Rock is moving from Lake City to Greenwood next summer. The new space is at 104 N. 85th St., directly under Top Ten Toys in Piper Village.

School of Rock will occupy the suite at the far right of this picture.

General Manager Kristoffer Kierulff tells me the plan is to open in June, in time for summer camps.

School of Rock had originally signed a lease in Crown Hill last year, but then couldn’t proceed because of zoning issues.

School of Rock provides music lessons for children on guitar, bass, vocals, keyboards and drums, with the goal of playing a live concert.

School of Rock is also opening a location in Bellevue this Saturday.

Tags: Uncategorized

Comments

1. Mike Perry says:

I can never understand teens who become obsessed with being part of a rock band. Why waste time with something that’s so unlikely to give you a decent living that you’d be better off trying to make a living by buying lottery tickets?

And I’ve seen enough of these bands to conclude that most are almost as devoid of musical talent as I am. Most are wasting their time and many are deluding themselves. I’ve got sense enough to know I’m not musical. Many of them need to learn that too.

I wish the School of Rock every success, but for most young people, music as a hobby makes more sense that music as the be-all and end-all of life.

2. Guest says:

“Why waste time with something that’s so unlikely to give you a decent living that you’d be better off trying to make a living by buying lottery tickets?”

That is funny coming from someone that is a writer! :)

3. Duckpress says:

Mike I am not affiliated with Girls Rock in any way but your commentary is very sad. There is no room in your black and white analysis of this program for the other elements such as developing skills for simple enjoyment of music, for building confidence in performing, for being part of a group or team, for the simple act of learning, etc. Who ever said Girls Rock is the end-all/be-all? You obviously are not a patron of the arts. If you are, you have missed the point.

4. Duckpress says:

I’d like to add that my child has been involved with a non-profit filmmaking program for five years. Though she does not intend to go into filmmaking, she has learned incredible skills that cross over into other many areas of her life, has developed confidence you wouldn’t believe, and has made connections with a community of strong, passionate talented people who are engaged in life and their communities. Look outside the box.

5. Kris Kierulff says:

Wow Mike. Real great attitude… Do you feel the same way about kids playing little league. Gosh, they shouldn’t waste their time because they’ll never be professional, right? Music is a language, and it’s one that kids relate to and can better relate to each other with. At the school of rock we put on shows to teach music, but in that process they learn so much more about being on a team and working towards a goal. whether or not they continue in their professional lives as musicians (and some of them will, and they WILL make a living), they are gaining skills and experiences that they will carry with them the rest of their lives. and they may even learn how to shred too.

6. Matt E says:

Mike P you are a short-sighted buffoon and it sounds like any children you may have will be very boring individuals. So should kids not play soccer, baseball, or football because they will never be pro-athletes gathering a paycheck?

7. Alex says:

I’ll second all these comments to Mike’s “Why waste time with something that’s so unlikely to give you a decent living” and say: Why “waste time” owning a pet or learning to knit? Drawing or canoeing or spending time with friends? None of these things will earn you a decent living, Mike, but all of them bring joy. Doing things you love to spend time doing is part of what life is about for happy, healthy people. lets teach our kids this!

8. Guest says:

Mike, most kids just do it for fun and personal growth. A few will go on to have musical careers. Does it always have to be about making money?

9. Jennifer Jahahn says:

Mike P., you clearly speak of something you know NOTHING about. My son attends the School of Rock program and it has changed his and our life in ways I could never describe. I am saddened by your comments. It doesn’t matter if the kids go on to become professional musicians, they are engaged in a collaborative and creative process with their peers and learn countless skills along the way. Most of all, they find a community and sense of belonging. Apparently this is “a waste of time” according to you. I wholeheartedly disagree

10. Ann says:

Everyone above has certainly said many of the things I wanted to say to Mike Perry as well. I did want to add that my kids were involved in Seattle Schools All City Marching Band as both students and staff. There is not enough time or room here to explain all of the life lessons learned and the friendships made during those 11 years. I am thrilled to see that space rented and look forward to hear amazing things happening there!!

11. Becky kierulff says:

I sure wish School of Rock had exsisted when my son was at that age. We had a lot of ” garage band” practices in our basement. But oh well, now he gets to run the programs for Seattle/Bellevue.
    And by the way this would have been better for him than little league was!

12. sezdog says:

This is GREAT news for the neighborhood!!! It’s so good to see empty store front get filled. And I love that we will have 2 youth oriented organizations here, including 826 Seattle. Organizations like this say a lot about how we value the children in our community.

13. Mike says:

Wow! People like Mike Perry DO NOT make the world a better place.

14. jmpr says:

Music is fun and a great outlet for some of that pent up energy in teens. It teaches discipline and also teamwork (when one is in a band even just for the fun of it).
    My grandsons are into the music “scene” even though it’s in their own basement but sometimes performed at their school talent shows. I have only seen good come from their experience (though I have to admit sometimes I would like earplugs).

15. Phinneyman says:

What do you mean it will be directly under Top Ten Toys? Do you mean that it will be in the basement? I’ve never seen a basement to Top Ten.

16. Aaron says:

Hey Mike? Don’t worry I’m not here to judge you. I’ll make you an offer come out and see these kids play a show and I’ll pay for the ticket, they have shows coming up with everything from Beatles, Talking Heads, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana to Heavy Metal. Take a break from the working week and hear some live music played by some of the most amazing kids.

Love
    Aaron

17. Johnny99 says:

The “dump on Mike Perry” crowd is responding to what they THOUGHT he said, rather than what he REALLY DID SAY.

Mike says that most of the kids will never make any money at music and are not very talented (true.) He also compared their level of musical talent to his own. Seems pretty obvious that he is not judging anyone.

Mike wished the school success. Sounds like he is the one with a generous attitude here. He recommends music as a hobby. Good advice if you ask me.

18. angelinethebaker says:

Phinneyman, “under Top Ten Toys” means the space around the corner to the north across the parking lot from Mud Bay — where there used to be a fabric store long ago, and more recently Thriftco. It has been vacant for many years.

19. Guest says:

Johnny99, I think this statement is what is shocking to most folks : “Why waste time”

20. Connor Wartelle says:

Mike, I go to the School of Rock. And it has changed my life. By you saying that it is just a waste of time means that lots of other stuff should be “a waste of time”. Rock and Metal are the most complex types of music ever. Period. Also, because you say that it is a waste of time, shouldn’t that mean it’s easy? Let’s see you go up ON STAGE and PERFORM for HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE. School of rock has not only taught me amazing music, it taught me teamwork, it taught me to be proud of who I am, and so much more. I’ve also made relationships that I would never get anywhere else. You can lay on a couch all day relying on a lottery ticket for money even though the odds of winning are exremely slim if you want to. But before you talk smack about something, at least know something about it!

21. Tiktok says:

Mr. Perry’s straw-man argument trolling effort appears quite effective.

I eagerly await his further public musings on other popular human activities he doesn’t understand.

22. Johnny99 says:

“Rock and Metal are the most complex types of music ever.”

LOL!! This is the funniest thing I have heard all day! This guy has been listening to too much Spinal Tap.

23. Kris K says:

Connor Wartelle is the real deal who’s passion for music is un-rivaled. Proof is in this photo of him on the cover of City Arts. http://www.cityartsonline.com/issues/seattle/2011/08
    Who else has here has been on a cover of a magazine? not me.
    As far as Mike goes, I’ll second Aaron’s offer, any show, any time, I’ll buy.

24. Alina Misra says:

Kris K, I’m so excited for you! It’ll be nice to know you are down the street doing what you guys are doing.

School of Rock gives children an opportunity to explore an interest and find a place and community to call their own. This is just like Lego class, Little League, drama class, etc.

These opportunities teach children skills that can be transferrable, yes! They create social connections, teach interpersonal skills, and create a safe environment for kids to do this.

“Extracurriculars” are ways for kids to find out what they like, what their “hobbies” are, and where their passion lies.

I don’t even perform or play music! I tried it out and it just wasn’t my thing. So I’m a music listener now, but I would hope that children would be able to figure this out on their own, like I did. School of Rock gives them that opportunity.