Deer on the loose in Phinney Ridge

November 2nd, 2012 · Comments

Bill sent us photos of two deer roaming around his neighbor’s yard at NW 59th Street and 1st Avenue NW late this morning.

He says that after clambering down the steps, they wandered south toward NW 56th. Street.

Tags: Uncategorized

Comments

1. Plus 5 points for the use of “clambering” in this post!

2. Wow this is hard to believe. They are quite a distance from a green belt!

3. KP says:

Hopefully these deer won’t come to any (vehicular) harm! (And hopefully drivers will remain safe and alert.)

4. Judith Wood says:

Oh my gosh! Wish I had seen them – so incongruous.

5. Alan Carter says:

I’ve joked with people before that the only thing missing from the ecology of Interlaken Park here on Capitol Hill were some deer grazing on the neighbors’ lawns. I guess that its not so farfetched after all!

6. Susan says:

Does anyone know what happened to them?

7. Len Speier says:

Coming from the cement sidewalks of New York, we do not see many deer traipsing around – a lovely sight to me. Glad there was no one from the NRA around to spoil the idylic scene.

8. Enatai70 says:

I love them!!

9. Kay says:

No joke these deer passed in front of my car on 50th and 1st last night at 4am! Nobody believed me not even 911! I just googled “deer got loose” this morning because I was sure someone would of seen them by now and I wanted to make sure they were ok! Im so glad to see they are ok considering they didnt seem to be fazed at all by crossing over 50th, one even stopped right in front of my car. Does anyone know where they came from yet? Maybe the zoo? They were heading south when I saw them but they must of headed back north if this was taken on 56th.

10. Whopper says:

Is deer hunting season over? I still have one permit left!

11. Whopper says:

Those antlers would be a great addition to my living room.

12. Kay says:

Weird I didnt even realize this post started yesterday. That is impressive that they are making their way through the city like this. A different site said they made it over to university way on the other side of the freeway! They must of gone over the 50th st overpass…wow that would of been quite the sight!

13. caroline says:

Oh deer, hope they will be OK, and hope too that drivers will be awake and alert and slow down for everyone’s safety.

14. DJ says:

They were in Carkeek Park on November 1st — they are more than welcome to come back — lots of greenery!

15. Janice says:

THANK YOU! My husband and guests thought I was having a psychotic episode when I saw them at our house last night, Friday, around 9 pm. I too hope they get back to their home.

16. Ruby says:

The wildfires have probably pushed animals further afield looking for food. We’ve had cougar sightings in Phinney Ridge, too. I take it seriously enough that when I go into my back garden at night I’m armed with a large fireplace poker!

17. Dick Falkenbury says:

If you’ve seen cougars, I doubt if a fire-poker will do it.

But the deer are lovely. My guess for their ‘home’? Ravenna Park. It is close to 52 and U Way and they could get to 59 and 1NW by walking under the freeway at 65th and ‘cutting through’ upper Wallingford (if they had walked around the Green Lake edge, hundreds of people would have seen them).

Falkenbury

18. Ruby says:

I dunno, I’d only want to stun it. And this is a very large and impressive poker — a one off. :)

19. Sarah Miller says:

Deer are supposed to be “on the loose”…

20. Ruby says:

Yes, dear, but not in the middle of traffic.

21. Jeanette says:

We had the male deer in our neighbors backyard for a couple of hours in September eating and napping. We live a couple of blocks from lower Woodland Park. It might have been the coolest thing I have ever seen in our ‘hood’. Glad to see he is ok and has a friend.