Sandel Park playground renovations coming

December 28th, 2009 · Comments

Sandel Park at 1st Ave. NW. and N. 90th St. is about to undergo some renovations, thanks to a $350,000 grant from the 2008 Parks and Green Space Levy.

The park was identified in the Parks & Green Spaces Levy for the renovation of the existing play area. The focus of this project is to provide access and use improvements that will provide better site circulation, and make the park and play area more desirable to gather and play.

Preliminary designs have been underway for the last several months. Now the public is invited to the first public meeting from 6:30 – 7:45 p.m. on Wed., Jan. 13, 2010, at the Greenwood Library.

The design process will last through March, then construction is expected to happen from April through September.

Tags: Uncategorized

Comments

1. Kat says:

Will this have any impact on the trailers parked around here? Why give funding to a park that is just going to be surrounded by nasty?

2. Whopper says:

Since they had an armed robbery there just recently, maybe add a shooting range? Maybe add some shelters for the hookers and drug dealers to work out of and this park will be just splendid.

Until they get rid of the human trash along Aurora, all bets are off for making this park fit for normal human use.

3. HAK says:

I will definitely bring my kids here during daylight hours if the park is renovated! It’s a great space but needs new playground equipment. Happy that Seattle P & R is investing in it.

4. Lacey says:

Glad that Sandel is getting some attention from
    the Parks Dept. Every Summer the field is busy with soccer, volley ball, kids on their bikes and dogs chasing frisbees. No sign of Aurora trash. Hope they fix the wading pool.

5. Womble says:

Some extra lighting would be a bonus. It’s kind of scary walking through the park after dark, what with the occasional groups of youths lurking around and illegal off leash dogs running around.

Also, the sunken/hidden area with the childrens slide needs to be removed as I have seen plenty of drinking/drug taking activity there.

6. Iron City Mike says:

Can someone please explain to me the trailer phenomenon? Do otherwise homeless people live there? Where did they get the trailers? Or, do they just belong to local residents with no where to park them?

7. Larry says:

Enforce the leash law.

8. Whopper says:

Ban short, white guys with baggy pants around their butts and pit bulls to make up for it all……

9. Seattlejo says:

There used to be a number of trailers parked over by Ingram, but they got “cleaned out” sounds like a number of them ended up over by Sandel.

I guess I’m wondering if there is a place they could go. I mean they are homeless but have some shelter, have some money, but likely not enough for long term camping.

10. Iron City Mike says:

only in Seattle…a better class of homeless.

11. Alyssa says:

How about replace it with a small community center with a little outdoor playground? Maybe there’s not enough room for that, but I just thought I’d throw that out there. Greenwood doesn’t have a community center, and it might help the crime problem.

12. Whopper says:

“it might help the crime problem.”

Yes, bring in the thugs to give them hugs.

Gentrification will be the best way to reduce crime in Greenwood. It’s already underway, give it another 5-10 years, and the trash will be pushed out.

13. bogtrotter says:

I live a couple blocks from the park and walk my dog there, often at night. More lighting would be good-hard to tell just what groups are doing in the unlit areas-might be nothing too bad-too dark to tell, though! Camper vehicle homes are seen frequently, but usually just 1-2 and not every night (I feel sympathetic, not threatened). Animal control does enforce the leash law at times, but can’t be there all the time. The loose dog owners need to be more responsible. Unfortunate that someone chose to “cut cookies” with their car in the lawn the other night. I think Sandel has seen more problems in the past than now, but I could be wrong.

14. SPG says:

The campers and trailers are druggies usually. They’ve burned their other bridges and that’s why they’re not parked at a friend’s house or at a trailer park with facilities. As a bonus the money you save parked on the street can go right to your dealer!