Wind takes down tree on 78th

November 16th, 2009 · Comments

The early morning wind split off part of a cedar tree that fell on two houses in the 100 block of NW 78th Street at about 3 a.m.

A Seattle Fire Department crew had the street taped off to traffic, as the downed tree is resting on power lines.

Al and Jenny, who live in the house you can sort of see in this picture, said everyone is OK. Al said they heard “a crack and a crash. I thought it was lightning.”

They obviously weren’t too happy about the situation, but “as long as no one was hurt. That’s the important thing,” Al said.

A KING news crew arrived just as I was leaving and they might have better pictures since their camera has a light on it.

Thanks, Silver, for the tip!

Update 8:45 a.m.: Here’s what the two houses look like this morning.

Crews were busy cutting up the tree on the house on the right.

Tags: , Uncategorized

Comments

1. Anon says:

Was this why the [expletives deleted] helicopter was circling the area early this morning?

2. Anonymous says:

This was on the 100th block of NW 78th St, not N 78th St. I used to live in the 100 block of N 78th St, and I sat here for about 15 minutes on Google Street View trying to figure out which house on the block this was. The two blocks are adjacent, so it is an easy mistake to make.

3. Silver says:

The error might have been mine. I was listening to the scanner and it gets confusing sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification!

4. Who cares says:

who cares what block it was on? just hope everyone is okay, and no one was injured.

5. Anonymous says:

I also heard what sounded like helicopters hovering for several hours last night. (I live in the Maple Leaf neighborhood) I finally had to put in earplugs. The sounds was deafening. What in the hell was that?

6. Monty Piethong says:

Helicopters? It must have been Silver cruising for crime.

7. Anonymous says:

Helicopter? No. It’s the grinding work on I-5. Been slowly moving along since late summer. Will not stop until mid December. Lot’s of articles about this.

8. Joe says:

The noise your probably hearing in Maple Leaf is the road grinders on I-5, the state has started back up in this area.

9. Anonymous says:

Someone who thinks they might know the people in the location might care where it is. So that they can check in with them and make sure they have a place to stay or what have you. There are many reasons a person might want to know where something is. I wanted to know where it is, because I used to live near there, and that is why I was looking for it, and that is why I noticed the discrepancy, and that is why I shared it here.

10. Anonymous says:

Not to, like, draw this out, but I realize that “because I used to live near there” may not be a satisfactory reason in some people’s opinion, for me to want to know where the tree was. To clarify, I was curious how close I might have been, in time and in physical location, to my own tragedy. Like, could the tree have fallen on me in my old home? I guess I like to know if I have had near misses in my life.

11. Penny says:

No, it was definitely helicopters or a small plane around 6:30a because I heard it as well. I tried to get back to sleep with a pillow over my head!!

12. brock says:

I saw and heard the helicopter. it was between 85th, 105th,3rd ave nw and greenwood ave around 6:20 am.

13. Iron City Mike says:

Didn’t hear any helicopters last night, probably because the wind was making so much noise….

14. Doree says:

Anonymous – You’re right, it was NW 78th. It was 4 a.m. when Dale wrote that post, so please forgive him for being a little fuzzy-headed!

15. kp1321 says:

Saw 2 helicopters hovering around 85th and Aurora area when I walked my dog this AM around 6:20

16. MTH says:

They’re probably news helicopters. They hover over the neighborhood whenever one of the three major TV news stations (KING, KIRO, KOMO) want photos/videos of an event, in this case maybe the tree on the house. We hear them everytime there is a fire (which was getting frequent) or a traffic accident. They are really loud and obnoxious.