Green Bean reopens with a ‘mugging’ Saturday

November 9th, 2009 · Comments

The Green Bean Coffeehouse is reopening in a temporary location this Saturday, thanks to an offer from the owners of Sip & Ship to take over the coffee operation at their business at 8560 Greenwood Ave N.

After the fire, Sip & Ship owners Steven and Diana Naramore made the generous offer. They’ve worked out the details and the grand re-opening “Mugging” is scheduled to start at 8 a.m. on the 14th. The Green Bean explains a “Mugging” thusly:

What’s a Green Bean Mugging you ask?  This is your chance to share a bit of yourself and to help us get back on our feet.  On Saturday, bring in a mug from home, have a cup of coffee and then leave it in the dish bin as you go to help us rebuild our collection of quirky, lovely mugs!

Of the other businesses destroyed by the Oct. 23 arson fire, Pho Tic Tac is the only one that does have another location currently in business. You can find them at 14515 Aurora Ave. N.

PhinneyWood reader Sally talked the owners the other day and she said, “they are somewhat concerned that many of their regulars don’t know they have a place on 145th… Yet, I think they feel so fortunate that they have this place, unlike their neighbors on 85th” who lost everything.

Also, Summer Mohrlang, manager of the Green Bean, notes there are several opportunities for people to give to the Greenwood Fire Relief Fund besides donations at Chase Bank, including:

• The Q Café, 3223 15th Ave. W, in Interbay, is going to donate 10 percent of their sales in January to the Green Bean.
  • Karma by the Cup (333 NW 85th St.) is donating 5 percent of their profits this quarter to the Greenwood Fire Relief Fund.
  • Taproot Theatre is planning to do Dec. 4 and 5 readings of John Longenbaugh’s “Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Christmas Carol” which was originally scheduled for this holiday season.  It will be pay as you can and the proceeds will go to the Fire Relief Fund.

Tags: , Uncategorized

Comments

1. Sue Massey says:

Can you tell me who did your layout? I’ve been looking for one kind of like yours. Thank you.

2. Patrick says:

This is terrific news – I’ll swing by for sure!

3. Whopper says:

A mugging in Greenwood would be a pleasant change.

4. Weenie D says:

What a great idea, and kudos to the Sip N Ship for being so supportive and generous to the Green Bean, after all, if you looked at it from an outsiders perspective they were kinda business competitors. I’ll have to make sure to stop in early before work that day! Too bad I just donated a bunch of mugs to the Goodwill a few weeks ago, alas, I’m sure I can find the perfect one to add to their collection.

5. Allen says:

Really a great idea, and hope everything will go well, it will become better and better…

6. Silver says:

I plan on being there with a suitably atrocious mug. (Besides my face, smartypants!)

7. gardenmentor says:

Way to go Sip ‘n Ship! One more reason you’ll keep me as a devoted customer (even if I do use the Ballard location).

It’s fantastic to see the community come together and support one another this way. Kudos!

8. Iron City Mike says:

So…does this mean Green Bean anticipates finding a new location at some point?

9. coffee lover says:

Thanks to Sip ‘n ‘Ship, Q Cafe in Interbay and to Karma by the Cup! Gives me a little extra faith in humanity.

10. Barb says:

Great idea! Great community spirit! I’ll be there!

11. Mike Sinkula says:

That Sip & Ship logo is awesome!

12. Laura Bee says:

Just heard Diana from Sip & Ship on NPR talking about this story.

It’s so great to hear of the community pulling together in the face of such awful events.

13. Michele says:

Yea–I knew Sip and Ship was an awesome business! I will continue to mail, notarize, and get my coffee with you!

14. Gerie says:

good luck to all. ears to the ground, hoping that Szechuan Bistro will find a new home also.

15. Hmmm says:

But do we have to call it a “mugging?” The term is not cute to victims of real muggings.

16. Hmmm says:

Nor does the shock-value approach seem appropriate at a time when our community is so horribly on edge.

17. Andi says:

I’d have to agree with “Hmmmm” weird sense of humor here.
    But I’m so glad to pass on some mugs!
    Does anyone know of other upcoming fundraising events for these folks (all of them?) I mean other than the Taproot theatre readings, is there a plan for concerts or “dine out for Greenwood” or something? I want to DO something, you know and what I can do is, say, sit at a table and take donations or help organize a reading or a concert or a sale or…anyone?

18. JeniHam says:

This is such a beautiful display of humanity in all its glory. Thank you. Sip-n-Ship, for reminding us what is good and decent in the world. I pray that this coming together of community continues long after the arsons are solved.