Video of the Greenwood fire

October 23rd, 2009 · Comments

We shot this video of this morning’s 3-alarm fire in central Greenwood, across the street on 85th. At some points, we could feel the heat from the blaze.

Visit this story (above) for continuing coverage and photos of the fire.

Tags: Uncategorized

Comments

1. Neighbor says:

Seattle Times is reporting Romio’s to be destroyed, too. Do we know this to be the case?

2. Glenn Fleishman says:

Romio’s is part of the same block; it’s quite deep and backs up behind Green Bean, etc. This is a terrible day for Greenwood.

3. Silver says:

Those firefighters worked really hard for a long time last night. I can’t imagine doing what they do with I-don’t-know-how-many-pounds of gear on, and a face mask, in the dark.

I’m thinking of taking them doughnuts this morning.

4. greenwood-fan says:

Neighbor – in the comments below, someone mentioned Romio’s as well. Before my time, so I can’t confirm, but it sounds like Romio’s might have been in one of the damaged spaces in the past? I can’t imagine Taproot not burning, but Romio’s being destroyed…

5. Jeff LaCoste says:

Wow! Better video coverage than the news, good work!

6. greenwood-fan says:

I should have read Seattle Times dot com before posting that :)

If that is the case, then every business along that block is suffering from significant water damange – Romio’s is the furthest on the corner. So unfortunate.

7. Liesl says:

Not Romio’s, not the Dentist, not the Neighborhood Center. They even all had power this morning sill. The Firefighters did a great job keeping it contained to the one building with much less damage to the buildings directly next to the center.

8. daniel says:

this really is tragic, i have great memories of Greenwood and 85th…:(

9. R says:

PhoTicTac
    GreenBean
    SzechuanBistro
    CCTeriyaki

More/better info @ (http://www.phinneywood.com/2009/10/23/2-alarm-fire-burning-on-85th/)

10. stacy says:

What a sad day for Greenwood. I woke up this morning to the constant sound of alarms screaming past my windows on Evanston and 85th – at least no one was injured. Long before I was alive, my grandmother’s beauty shop was a part of the destroyed block of buildings. So sad …

11. LysKing says:

How sad! We are in Chile right now, but we live just a few blocks away from this and those were some of our favorite take-out places in Seattle! This is terrible.