Cyndy’s House of Pancakes closing today

August 9th, 2009 · Comments

AJH posted in our forum that Cyndy’s on Greenwood’s eastern edge is closing today.

Sunday, August 9th, is the last day that Cyndy’s will be open!!!! My boyfriend went to breakfast there this morning and was shocked to see a sign that they were closing business as of TOMORROW! This is a great breakfast place that we’ve been frequenting for years, and we are sad to see it go. I guess some of the workers want to retire (a legitimate reason for closing down). The purchaser is the guy who wants to open a strip club, but there are some problems with financing/permitting. So it may be that the deal doesn’t go through (which I hope it doesn’t). Just thought I’d let everyone know in case you want to get that one last order of CFS in before Cyndy’s joins the graveyard of great Seattle restaurants.

The business at 10507 Aurora Ave. N has been known as Cyndy’s House of Pancakes since 1972. Businessman Bob Davis hopes to turn it into a strip club. Davis has a construction permit application on file seeking to add a stage and make seating modifications.

A restaurant employee says they’ll be open until about 1:30 p.m. today. She said there’s a chance Davis’ project could fall through. If that happens, Cyndy’s could reopen as a pancake house in September.

Tags: , Uncategorized

Comments

1. Asa says:

Can’t say I’m too surprised. The food wasn’t that good for the price, although I’d hate to see it turned into a Strip Club. That would be terrible. Seattle has a ton of great breakfast places and Cyndy’s seemed pretty run-of-the-mill to me. Of course, it’s always sad when an older business closes down. But, c’est la vie.

2. greenwoody says:

I went to Cyndy’s once. the “over-hard” eggs i ordered were barely cooked. I waited 20 minutes for someone to come by and ask how my food was, and when I told them, they said “gee, you already ate a lot of the eggs we gave you”, and accused me of trying to get free eggs :) never went back, glad to hear they’re out of business.

3. js says:

Because you got bad eggs once, you are happy they are out of buisness? Give me a break.

4. Tony Soprano says:

Watch for our grand opening. Pole dancers and waffles.

5. Shiny says:

Pancake business has been flat lately.

6. Iron City Mike says:

Pancake place turning into a strip club? This does not bode well for the direction I would hope the neighborhood would take (and no, I’m not suggesting an unaffordable yuppyville). Surprised people aren’t protesting this.

7. 59thandblake says:

As if Aurora couldn’t get an seedier…

8. ballardmike says:

MAN!! That’s a shame.
    Always been a respectable place for grub.

9. mike says:

Looking forward to a strip club in Greenwood.

10. Ramon says:

I’m going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that I don’t think I’d mind another strip club in Seattle. Portland has tons of them, and they seem to do OK.

11. Iron City Mike says:

I’m sure they will do a great business – but that’s not the point

12. mr_friendly says:

The strip club deal fell through a while ago, and the business is for sale again.

13. AG says:

This sucks — and I found out the hard way, driving up after I got back from vacation Monday. Fantastic potato pancakes, and the only dutch babies in the area worth waking up for.

(Greenwoody, damn. Self-involved twit much?)

14. Michael says:

Iron City Mike noted that he was surprised that people weren’t protesting the conversion to a strip club. But, apparently, some are. Today there was a sign on Cyndy’s front window that asked people to send an e-mail to savecyndys@gmail.com. I, for one, will do just that.

15. canon_shot says:

A friend of mine and myself have been going there every weekend for more than a year. We would meet up before we headed out to photograph wildlife.
    Fast friendly service, lots of coffee, endless supply of toast and were very flexible about addons regarding the menu. Already miss the place.
    Tried the eggnest last week. The hostess totally acted like she didn’t want to be there. The food was room temp. Might give it one more try. I don’t know.

16. Jena says:

Um so we didn’t sell that guy has no dealings with our business at all. We closed to redo some painting and menu items and hire some new staff so we will be re-opening the doors Wednesday Sept 9th at 7am. We will be open daily from 7am to 3pm.

17. Maurik1957 says:

Stay tuned for good news.