« Phinney Ridge-Greenwood Restaurants

The Barking Dog

June 15th, 2009 · Comments

The Barking Dog Alehouse (American, bar)
TheBarkingDogAlehouse.com
705 NW 70th St. (map)
(206) 782-2974

CitySearch.com: “The emphasis is on beer and community at this friendly Phinney Ridge alehouse…”
NWSource.com: “A secret worth discovering…”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (72 votes, average: 2.83 out of 5)
Loading...Loading...

Tags: , dining · Food & Drink

Comments

1. playtime! says:

used to have good food. now it does not. used to have fun and talent servers….now hmmm.
    still a good place to grab a beer.

2. Phinneyman says:

The food is really terrible at the Barking Dog. The servers are notoriously slow. It’s too bad because it’s in a good location and I’d go there if they had decent food or service.

3. Aka says:

As a non drinker there is no longer anything of interest to me, here, since the food quality took a nose dive. I used to really enjoy their breakfasts. Oh, how I long for those biscuits and gravy.

4. MM says:

The food quality rivals just about any high school cafeteria, only with the added bonus of costing about three times as much. If you’re not picky and want a tavern atmosphere with a little one, it’s an okay place to get a drink.

5. coolmama says:

Oh funny, I was just coming here to ask if the food had gotten any better at this place! Got my answer.

6. Paul M says:

the stroller outside in the photo says it all.

7. midwesterner says:

I know!
    It is so sad, because I was looking for a family friendly pub experience where i could have a beer and the kids could have pop and snacks. It had been a nice neighborhood treat…..It has been over a year since we gave them one last chance………
    Could anyone give us hope that it would be worth trying again?

8. Unclear says:

“the stroller outside in the photo says it all.” Paul M: please explain.

Does this mean they only serve baby food? Or are you angry that people with kids dare go there?? Thanks!!

9. crabby pants says:

I am guessing that it means that it is loud. Sometimes parents do not have insight into how the howling and whining of children can ruin a good time, and they let bad behavior slide when performed in public spaces instead of asking for the check and leaving quickly when the meltdown occurs.
    Peace

10. 4dakids says:

yeah, I’ve never been at a drinking establishment and had to listen to adults howl or whine (or yell, or fight, or generally be a nuisance), ruining my good time. Don’t forget throwing up and urinating in public.

I think its great that the neighborhood has a place that people can take their kids. If you don’t like kids, go to one of the many other establishments that are 21 and over, or go after bedtime.

11. Paul M says:

I spent my last $$$ in BD many moons ago don’t worry

12. midwesterner says:

4dakids –
    but is the food good?
    I am always looking for places that are family friendly and has good food. If I want to take my kids some place to be wild and loud at meal time I will take them to a park, but then I can’t have a beer.

13. Cheryl says:

My boyfriend and I always thought their food was good. A bit overpriced and, yes, they could give you more salad and fish & chips for what they charge. Our biggest problem is the waitress that is supposedly the girlfriend of the owner. Never smiles, doesn’t give good service, balks at splitting bills, and does what she wants cause, heck, she’s with the owner. Unfortunately we don’t go there anymore either.

14. Mark says:

I can’t figure out why everyone is so down on this place. Is this a rebellion against anyplace that has relatively good pub grub, excellent beer choice and the opportunity to, heaven forbid, bring your kid? I guess I may need to pay attention to the waitress thing, but they’ve always been willing to bring us extra plates, napkins and even an order of pickles for our kid.

15. playtime! says:

Well, Mark – Some of us have had bad experiences and would not describe the food as relatively good. No one has stepped up to counter that claim, and even you give a tame assessment. Does that make it a rebellion? Geez – do we have to tolerate poor food and rude service just because we can have a beer and bring a kid? If that is a case count me in for the rebellion. Viva la gastronome.

16. L says:

We’ve always had good beer and food here. Love that’s it’s kid friendly too!

17. snoopy says:

5% of you really do think the food was better “back when” 80% of you didnt even know there was a change in ownership and then when you found out, you suddenly hated the food. and the other 15% of you haters never even ate at the Dog “back when”.

Personally, I love the Dog. I go there every friday after work. The meatloaf is awesome. The mushroom pizza is awesome. The fish and chips are some of the better ones I have had in seattle. The chicken salmboteca is very good. On tap beer list is extensive and always changing. Service for me has never been bad. But then I dont take a stop watch like some of you here. Dont know who the owner is or his girlfriend, but they have never denied my request for splitting a bill. Even 4 ways once. Great neighborhood spot. I would love it if they did breakfast.

18. Jeremy says:

Live in the neighborhood and started going eating at the Dog when it opened. The food was really great–I really loved it. But that changed with the new ownership. In fact, I remember when the food changed. It was a shock. One night there was the usual great menu, but a couple nights later it all changed for the worse. Everything about the food got worse: quality, quantity, range of choices. But, the prices stayed the same.

I’ve been back a couple times since then in the hopes that they’ve pulled things around. Nope. Still no good. I wish it were otherwise as it’s so close to home, but no.

Can’t recommend the food. At all.

19. Loki says:

Snoopy, Please tell me that was some sort of bad joke about the meatloaf… the dog’s meatloaf is awesomely bad. Trust me, go across the street and get meatloaf from the Take 5 and then go to the dog for a beer afterwards.

20. Lexicon Girl says:

I loved the Dog for years – it was my favorite restaurant and the place I always took guests from out of the area. The breakfasts were killer, and who can forget the scotch eggs and the destination meatloaf? Seriously – for a long time it was the best meatloaf I’d ever had.

I was gone for about a year and came back to an atrocious meal at the Dog. It was only later that I found out there’d been a change in ownership and that seemed to explain it. Either way, I miss my favorite restaurant; there’s an impostor in its place!!

21. missugly says:

son went with date for lunch a while back – both report it was “excellent” They are young neighborhood kids, and this was their idea of a special treat. Who am I to argue?

22. missugly says:

oh – and he had a meatloaf sandwhich that left him all agog…..his point of comparasion has been 3 girls down in the market — so I got to trust that I raised him right. RIGHT?

23. Wanted to give it a try and did. Won’t be back. Service was the worst in a long time. The server said she thought the other server was taking us but turns out he was not. I did not want to hear excuses for bad service at a slow pub. The food was some of the worst prepared lowest quality I’ve ever had in Seattle. Yikes. Time for new owners or a manager with passion for working.

24. pietro47 says:

I gave it a try – I had Shepard’s pie and it was awful! Pretty hard to screw that dish up, but they did. My wife and daughter didn’t like their entrees either – we decided to rename the place “The Barfing Dog” – won’t go back!

25. Kelly says:

I like the atmosphere. It feels like a pub, but is full of families and kids. It is a great place to go if you have kids and want to feel like ‘going out’.

26. Phinneyman says:

Update: Visited the BD recently on a busy Sunday night with a friend and ordered a drink and some fries. Service was a bit slow, but the fries and drink hit the spot. I’m glad the BD appears to be improving. I will definitely give it another try.

27. Aaaarrrggh says:

Every time I go here I end up disappointed. Has the food improved – last time I went (probably early 2009) got a sandwich on a hot dog bun… With the 65th strip so close I’m convinced the only reason this place stays in business is because it is kid-friendly.

28. Carole says:

I’ve lived just up the street from The Barking Dog for years now, but somehow never made it over there. Today, when I found myself unable to get home due to my street being blocked off by the bomb squad action (http://www.phinneywood.com/2010/05/01/bomb-squad-called-to-home-on-cleopatra/), I thought I’d give it a try.

It was great! Very friendly, laid-back atmosphere, friendly staff, good food, and good service. It seemed like it took a long time for my food to get there, but I wasn’t in any hurry since I had no place else to go. I’ll definitely be going back regularly.

29. Ballard Jesus says:

When they first opened it was not bad at all. Belgian beers served in their correct glasses. After a couple years S**t hit the fan and not only did service decline to a miserable level, so did the food. Did I also mention LOUD? And yeah, kid friendly. I guess someone has to be…JESUS AINT NO BREEDER.