« Phinney Ridge-Greenwood Restaurants

Sully’s Snowgoose Saloon

April 5th, 2009 · Comments

Sully’s Snowgoose Saloon (Beer and wine)
6119 Phinney Ave. N (map)
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 782-9231

Yelp: “It definitely reminds me of a ski lodge meets Irish pub.”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (33 votes, average: 3.36 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Food & Drink · pubs

Comments

1. Mike says:

Pros: Good beer selection; 25 cents buys you two games of pinball on the old school machines, the atmosphere is laid back (almost to the point of falling over), and they have a nice fireplace like box outside and really what goes better with beer than fire?

Cons: Bathrooms are quite a scene and there’s no room for any sort of a kitchen, though I’ve seen people with baskets of peanuts to munch on.

Oh, and I’m pretty sure you can order a Mac n’ Jacks without getting scowled at like they do across the street.

2. Number Six says:

classic, where else (besides Blue Moon or similar, way far away) can you sleep on the bar? :) Sully’s rocks!

3. Trix says:

Testosterone city. The service was friendly though.

4. Hervon Ruten Schtuen says:

Tremendous. About as old-school as Seattle is capable of these days. Servers are sometimes taciturn, but always attentive. Pinball is great. There’s a guy there from Boston seemingly every night, and he’s a loud, drunken tool. Also, once The Bubble Man came in and blew bubbles in people’s faces and I thought I might have to abandon my vow to Be the Change I Wish to See in the World and kick his purple-clad ass, but, happily, he soon vacated the premises. Sully’s is wonderful and cozy and we are lucky to have it and you should go there.

5. Jennska says:

Contrary to Mike’s post above, there is a kitchen. The fare is limited, but usually pretty tasty. The nachos are the thing to get here.

But the food isn’t why we go to Sully’s. We go because it just has a great atmosphere to hang out, talk, and enjoy some free time.

6. Aaron says:

Didn’t Sully (the building owner) steal this bar from those who actually built it and made it what it is?

That alone makes me hesitant to go there

7. Lacey says:

As I heard it, years and years ago, the previous owner refused to release the original name of the bar (which isn’t coming to me) and now owns Reading Gaol. time to let go and give Sully’s a chance. The building alone makes it a Phinney landmark.

8. Ray says:

Was it called The Bohemian once upon a time?

9. Corin says:

It was “La Boheme” and a pool table was jammed in half the space, if you can imagine (it’s small). Too bad it couldn’t keep the name. Wonder if there’s any more to tale of the name change per Aaron’s post?

10. Trix says:

Oh, yeah! When they had live music the band would have to perch up onto the pool table.
    I keep going back to Sully’s and the only real complaint I have is I wish more wemon would go in there.

11. Peter A says:

I haven’t found out exactly how old the building or bar is, but “La Boheme” was there since at least 1941. I’m not sure when it changed to “The Bohemian,” but there was a listing for “La Boheme” here at least into 1990.

12. Peter A says:

Oops, didn’t check my own data. La Boheme was established there in 1934 (just after Prohibition)

13. a customer says:

why can”t we just ALL GET ALONG. sulley is a hard working dude with a kind irish heart. he cares about his customers and frankly there is a group of people YES YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE! who seem to think that they own the joint. knock it off folks and let’s make new customers feel welcome. it is a comfortable place to have a well poured pint. the guy who owned(the jail) past tense was a JERK! sulley happens to own the snogoose and good for him. GOOD GOING SULLEY…..we all love you.

14. Chancho says:

Good beer. There are a bunch of regular barflies everyday and they freak out if a girl walks in.
    The women who are always there scowl at any newcomers. It’s kind of like “Big Love” in a dark pub.

15. Teresa says:

Doing family history research I discovered my Great Grand Aunt worked @ La Boheme in 1953 & 1954 for sure (maybe 1952 & 1955). She was in her late 50′s. I plan to visit & hoist a beer in her memory.