« Phinney Ridge-Greenwood Restaurants

Herkimer Coffee

April 5th, 2009 · Comments

Herkimer Coffee
7320 Greenwood Ave. N (map)
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 784-0202
www.herkimercoffee.com

Yelp: “…Herkimer roasts their own beans, and Scott runs a top notch crew in there!…”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (53 votes, average: 3.72 out of 5)
Loading...Loading...

Tags: , coffee · Food & Drink

Comments

1. Hmmm. says:

Snooty staff
    Doesn’t take any form of payment other than cash

2. Coffee says:

Snooty? What, because they don’t give you the McDs “Have a nice day!” grin?

I find the staff very friendly, know them all by name. Mind you, what I like about them is they don’t force a conversation on you. Take it or leave it.

3. Sue says:

I actually found the staff extremely helpful. They asked a lot of questions and tried to get me the best coffee for my taste. And it was some of the best coffee I’ve ever had.

4. Haasch says:

One of best 3 coffee houses in Seattle. I couldn’t find a better espresso in Rome last year. . . and bring cash.

5. Jason says:

I would agree the staff are snooty. every time I have been I feel like I am not cool enough to get coffee there. also I never have cash

6. Mina & Co. says:

Good coffee, good service. But I’m turned off by the music. OK – so it’s great stuff for people of a certain (young) age and/or temperment. But in the mornings when I’ve dropped in I feel like I’m in some kind of scary movie. Just think of how different it would be like with some classical or acoustic music. It’s my age, I’m sure. Which is why I don’t go there often.

7. CSC says:

I had to use the facilities during the snowstorm, and they we’re very accommodating. Bought a mocha and it was really good. They could have really made my life uncomfortable that day, but they didn’t. I would hardly call that “snooty” service. I highly recommend them.

8. Sumo says:

With so many warm and friendly coffee places in the Greenwood Phinney area with excellent coffee- why go to Herkimer where the service is snooty and the atmosphere is cool. Still cash only after all these years.

9. max says:

Great coffee. Say Hi and they say Hi back….even a movie recommendation if you want it. Ken’s Market will give you cash if you buy something so support another Phinney local business and get cash at the same time.

10. Hervon Ruten Schtuen says:

Herkimer is wonderful. Delicious coffee, a thoughtfully designed and comfortable space, and kind, witty espresso-pullers who are fast, attentive, and competent, and always, in my experience, glad to chat. The cash-only policy is an irritant, but on more than one occasion when my wallet was empty they’ve offered to give me my java and let me pay them later. I’m 43, and I think their taste in music is generally great — from new obscure indy to bop-along classics on Pandora. (Sometimes the music is ridiculously loud, but try to find a cafe in this burg where that’s not the case.) Herkimer, in short, is a neighborhood treasure.

11. Phinneyman says:

This place is mediocre. Makeda has friendlier service and better coffee.

12. Aaaarrrggh says:

Best coffee shop in the area – I would write more but Hervon pretty much said everything I was going to.

13. Robin says:

Herkimers has the BEST coffee in the city and I’ve had it EVERYWHERE! No matter who is pulling, it is consistently rich and full. The music is wonderful because it varies and changes and keeps me abreast of new sounds that aren’t common or often repeated elsewhere. And the MIX of people is a total pleasure. The age range is wide, everyone is welcome and the quiet warmth of staff creates a welcome for all. So curb your insecurity and head there to enjoy the best coffee in Seattle. Cash is a pleasure, the line moves fast and their high standards win the day in my book. And the art on the walls changes and is well juried. But again, if fine, delicious, consistent coffee is your goal, there is no place better. Trust me!

14. Patti says:

I think it’s great that they take just good old cash! Good for them! And the coffee is lovely. I see talented baristas here who don’t feel inferior to the customers they serve. Put off by that? I’m sure they will not mind if you go elsewhere…

15. Lorena says:

My favorite coffee shop in Seattle! 100x better than Neptune..ugh dont get me started on them. I’ve always gotten good service here, definitely would NOT classify them as “snooty” pretentious type. I actually also did notice once when a customer didn’t have cash they just gave her her coffee and told her to come back another day with the cash..so nice of them! Most importantly the coffee is always amazing. The space is clean, bright, and spacious. The music is to the liking of what you would hear on KEXP, which is fine by me!