« Phinney Ridge-Greenwood Restaurants

Gainsbourg Lounge

April 5th, 2009 · Comments

Gainsbourg Lounge (French, full bar)
8550 Greenwood Ave. N (map)
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 781-2224
www.myspace.com/gainsbourglounge

Yelp: “…So THIS is where all the beautiful people of Greenwood hide!…”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (33 votes, average: 3.73 out of 5)
Loading...Loading...

Tags: dining · Food & Drink · pubs

Comments

1. Richard says:

Wonderful place, great concept, nicely appointed, great food and REALLY amateur service. Not really a restaurant, more of a popular watering hole. Happy servers greeting and visiting with their friends and each attempting to handle the whole room without a visible plan. Orders may not appear without a re-order after an extended wait. Has phenomenally good menu selections. Highly recommended as a night spot for great drinks, or as a restaurant on a slow afternoon before six thirty.

2. mike says:

So my friend and I gave the Gainsbourg a try, we thought it would be fun and a nice place to have a snack and a drink. We entered the bar and stood around for a few minutes thinking we may need to wait to be seated. When this did not happen and seeing no sign (I am totally blind and my friend has some vision) we walked to the end of the bar to order a drink and see if a staff member could assist us in finding a table. The person who helped us find a table was quite nice and he even apologized for the small table…
    When the female server came over to take our order several minutes later my friend asked if any larger tables had opened up, and if so if she would help us find one. The server stated quite rudely that their was a waiting list and that we shouldn’t even have been seated at this table as their were two people in front of us… *Remember another staff person had told us to sit at this spot*. And to top off the Wonderful time at the Gainsbourg when my friend asked for help reading the drink specials and clearly stated that she had trouble seeing the server grabbed the menu and put it under the light and said she would be back when we were ready to order…
    Over all, I have no plans to return to this place, there are so many other friendly establishments in Greenwood I will take my patronage to where my friends and I feel welcome.

3. Trix says:

Mike, I saw you and your friend come in and agree it was a very rude reception. My mom unsuccessfully attempted to wave the waitress over to let her know somebody needed a little assistance.
    I tried this place for the first time that day too and have to agree about the wait staff. A bit rude and distracted by regulars and friends.
    The drinks were very good, so I’ll probably be back to sit at the bar. But they need to re-think the wait staff.

4. Stephanie says:

We tried your place on Cinco de Mayo, food and drinks were fantastic. Music – great. Wait staff, not so much. We read through the comments to date on this review site and have to say we sincerely hope your management will take it seriously when several people take the time (read: more than 3) to write negative comments about wait staff, you have a problem. Please re-train, or show them the door. You have a great place, don’t let unsophisticated, untrained and or just plain stupid wait staff ruin your place.
    Honestly, we will come back. Next time we see or have poor service we will tell the owner the name of the wait staff. Best wishes on a great new addition to Greenwood.

5. James says:

The food was excellent, the drinks were solid and reasonably priced…the main problem was the service. It almost felt like they were annoyed that we were there. It took forever for them to get to us, and when they did it was like we were hassling them.

And it wasn’t like the endearing no-nonsense “bad” service at Chupacabra, which is part of its charm. This was as obnoxious as it gets, and left me no desire to return, even for the great food…

6. Aka says:

We enjoyed lunch here today, both of us having French dip and frites($9). There was only one other table seated-who appeared to be friend of the cook- so service was not a problem. Our server was friendly and timely with attention. I loved the ambience, the French music and some rather politically incorrect cartoons being projected onto the wall behind me. I’d love to go back so I hope todays service was not an anomoly, according to the above posts.

7. annika says:

I had the pleasure of going to the Gainsbourg for cocktails last night, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the drinks and the congeniality of the staff. This will definitely become one of our regular spots. I love that we have a french bar with a broken-in feel in our neighborhood.

8. Anna says:

I have given the Gainsbourg a couple of tries, and after my last attempt, I have come to a definite conclusion that I will never come back.

They never seemed to have Hoegaarden on tap – make a “limited availability” note on the menu or something. Beers that were advertised as “on tap” turned out to be bottled. Last time I was there, I ordered the same sandwich as two of my friends, and my sandwich was literally half the size of theirs, not the mention twice as charred.

The wait staff hasn’t been really rude, but extremely slow and forgetful. One time, my friend ordered a cocktail and when she received hers, I ordered the same…it arrived almost instantly, which almost suggested that he just gave me someone else’s drink. Not only that, but unlike my friend’s drink with slices of cucumber, mine were a muddled mess of cucumber goo and seeds. Instead of just taking the drink back, the waiter chided me for not drinking any of it before giving us an illegible bar tab.

There are so many better places to get a great drink on Greenwood Ave., and none of them are clouted with as much pretention as the Gainsbourg.

9. Dagger says:

Service is awful. Drink are good, foods good, ambience is good, jukebox is GREAT…Service sucks! Easy fix in my opinion.

10. Mo says:

I’m not going back. I experienced the same bad service described in earlier posts, we were often ignored and and felt like I was annoying the staff. On one visit, we were told by the wait staff to lower our conversation volume…this happened on a Saturday night. I don’t feel welcome in Gainsbourg.

11. Jon says:

New to checking out this site and it’s a good one for info in the hood. Kudos to whoever put it up. I have to defend The Gainsbourg first about all the bad service posts. NO WAY! Clarita and the staff that work there are great. I’ve been there maybe 50 times and never had a bad experience. Their unique drinks (The Jane Birkin) are great and their French Dip and French Onion soup are killer. Miss the jukebox for sure but the vibe, food, AND staff make the GB a great place to spend an evening in the Greenhood

12. Syd says:

We’ve been the Gainsbourg twice and have not experienced the bad service cited in other posts. In fact, it was almost opposite. We went on a Thursday and the place was packed. After we were seated for a few minutes, the owner stopped by to make sure someone was taking care of us (they were). As it turned out, they were especially busy for a Thursday night, but were not staffed high enough to handle the volume. Even so, food was always served hot and we were attended to appropriately.

One more thing… the brussel sprouts are to DIE for (even without the bacon)!

It’s a shame that others have had such poor experiences.

13. Alison says:

I visited Gainsbourg and the food and atmosphere was great; just what Greenwood needs. I got a gift certificate for my birthday and can’t wait to go back!

14. katy says:

I took my parents for dinner at Gainsbourg last night, and we all loved it – service good, food great, and at reasonable prices. I like that they have a small menu and do it well, and that the entrees aren’t humongous. Recommended!

15. scott g says:

please bring back the mussels & frites…

16. Sean says:

My girlfriend and I tried this place one night. We were treated so rudely by the waitress, we left before our food came. She was openly hostile towards us and surprisingly bitter. I guess we weren’t young and cool enough to warrant polite service. Gross.

17. Mac says:

I think that the laid-back French bistro atmosphere may not be for everyone. The service has always been incredibly positive and friendly and I have never heard otherwise from anyone I’ve spoken to. That having been said, if you’re expecting this to be more like a fancy restaurant and less like a bar/lounge, then you will be disappointed due to your inappropriate expectations. It’s great, but I don’t imagine it’s vibe is for everyone.